Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling...and Apes

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 AM
lesplay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling...and Apes

I know....I know.....

I can just imagine all the comments this might elicit...but I have to ask anyway.

I'm looking at a ton of ape pics trying to decide on the set that is right for me. None of the posts or threads I have spent HOURS and HOURS reading and looking at pics...address preformance.

I don't want to go too high because I like longer rides and I have heard that if you get your hands above your shoulders that you can experience hand numbing....I've never experienced it...but I don't want that. (Maybe someone can speak to that as well)

I live near "The Dragon" in east Tennessee and I ride it often and love wringing out the twisties on my '14 SB with stock mini apes with 4" risers and it handles very well. My concern is that I may get a set of apes that make handling the twisties more difficult...or just awkward.

I am currently leaning toward the Demons: El Diablos, Carlini: Evil or Menace, and BR: New Wave or Bent Ape Beaters.

Apes look GREAT going down the boulevard or at bike night....but what would be the best set to get for "looks" AND "performance"? Feedback from owners would be much appreciated.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

How tall are your stock mini apes with risers? Are you planning on going to shorter risers and taller bars? Do you want to go higher than you are now?

Any changes you make shouldn't dramatically change the handling much, unless you go drastically higher than you are now.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:30 AM
snatchcat
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I can just imagine all the comments this might elicit...but I have to ask
anyway.

haha, funny you should ask!... my stock Bob always handled better when I had my German helmet strapped on... now that I have the 48 bars on it I need to be wearing a red plaid hipster shirt for it to handle as well ...

Old 05-27-2014, 11:37 AM
kreeess
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 5'8 and recently changed my stock mini apes to 14 burly narrows and let me tell u, initial reaction to turning it's much more responsive now and turning is effortless... Idk if it's me but turns I would slow down for before I could take now without slowing. My opinion only of course! I used all stock wires/cable with this set up also, took about 3hrs to install here are some pics..

Attached Thumbnails Handling...and Apes-image-4024280216.jpg   Handling...and Apes-image-2119574681.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 AM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Reindeer
How tall are your stock mini apes with risers? Are you planning on going to shorter risers and taller bars? Do you want to go higher than you are now?

Any changes you make shouldn't dramatically change the handling much, unless you go drastically higher than you are now.
The stock bars are 9" with 1" stock risers= 10" rise.

I added 4" Drag Specialties risers now= 13" rise.

The bars are currently just below my shoulders. They are on the same angle as the forks, so they don't stand up and have some pull back. They are comfortable and handle well in the twistys.

I was thinking of going back to stock 1" risers and 12" bars since I think that will look better....but just trying to decide on bar cinfiguration that will not kill my handling through the curves. The Evil and Menace apes are SICK looking and comfortable....but don't look like they would "handle" very well. The Domons and BRs look good and seem like they would handle as well.

As with most things, I'm looking for the best of both worlds, (looks, comfort, performance), without going to one extreme while majorly sacraficing another.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:54 AM
lesplay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kreeess
I'm 5'8 and recently changed my stock mini apes to 14 burly narrows and let me tell u, initial reaction to turning it's much more responsive now and turning is effortless... Idk if it's me but turns I would slow down for before I could take now without slowing. My opinion only of course! I used all stock wires/cable with this set up also, took about 3hrs to install here are some pics..
Thanks...that is a big help.

I too am 5'8" so that's perfect. By the way, your sig name is what my co-worker calls me all the time.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:09 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lesplay
Thanks...that is a big help. I too am 5'8" so that's perfect. By the way, your sig name is what my co-worker calls me all the time.
I know how stressful choosing bars could be.. I just went through picking which bar/style/how high the past 2 months haha tons of reads and I finally just decided on sticking with the old school bobber look so I opted for the burly narrows which is also pretty affordable!! I think 14" is the sweet spot for our height .. Tall enough without being uncomfortable and still handles well! ... I actually got my sig name because my old co-workers back when I was in high school pronounced my name (kris) as kreeeeess lol I've just always used that for SN ever since

Let me know if u have any more questions with bars and install

Old 05-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeess

Love the look but it looks like your Throttle and clutch cables are stretched pretty tight..You may want to think about replacing them

Old 05-27-2014, 12:44 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Scudda
Love the look but it looks like your Throttle and clutch cables are stretched pretty tight..You may want to think about replacing them
actually theyre stretched with littles slack, thinking about what length cables to go with.. +2 maybe?

Old 05-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 941 Posts

I would say +4

Quick Reply: Handling...and Apes