Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike doesn't track straight and level?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Bike doesn't track straight and level?

2000 Low Rider when I let go of the bars the bike immediately starts to roll to the left. Nothing dramatic but within a couple seconds it's in the other lane. My Sportster would track straight and level so well I could have a smoke and a coffee while cruising the slab handsfree, I could change lanes with a slight weight shift. Is this normal for the BTs? Is the big primary that heavy it unbalances the bike? or is this a rear axle alignment issue? or is the vertical alignment out? How's your Dyna track? Any suggestions?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:21 AM
beagle01
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the rear wheel is aligned correctly in the rear forks (swing arm). I've had them come back from the dealer being 1/4" out from having the rear wheel off. There is a small hole in the front of the axle to align from. Then check the vertical alignment. Usually a spirit level reading on each disc is a good guide to see if the top adjuster needs attention..

Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 AM
John_K
Road Captain

looks like axle was out around 3/16 or so, measuring from axle center to swingarm pivot. I'll see if it's improved when I take a ride tomorrow.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Bob was WAY out when I brought it home from the dealer. My softail was out a good bit as well. Dealership mechanics generally don't give a f#uck or just plain suck at their job...

Old 06-06-2014, 11:26 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by John_K
2000 Low Rider when I let go of the bars the bike immediately starts to roll to the left. Nothing dramatic but within a couple seconds it's in the other lane. My Sportster would track straight and level so well I could have a smoke and a coffee while cruising the slab handsfree, I could change lanes with a slight weight shift. Is this normal for the BTs? Is the big primary that heavy it unbalances the bike? or is this a rear axle alignment issue? or is the vertical alignment out? How's your Dyna track? Any suggestions?
John, I have a 98 fxdl and mine was off a few degrees, but a bubble level wouldn't pick it up. It's worth reading up on the alignment procedure and picking up a magnetic inclinometer. I used a harbor freight one, but Home Depot sells magnetic levels with digital angle finders built in. Also your swingarm has two small holes to check the rear axle alignment adjustment. Thick coat hanger with a small o-ring to slide and mark the hole works great or similar. To get at the top stabilizer for adjustment if needed you can raise just the rear of the tank, no need to remove.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 AM
John_K
Road Captain

Swingarm is covered with chrome trim so i can't see any reference hole, no problem...just measured to the pivot bolt. Bike tracks much better but was still rolling a bit. Another turn of the adjuster pretty much solved that. Was out 4 complete turns of the screw. Whoever replaced the wheel obviously should not be working on bikes. My fault though, I assumed it was good and just counted turns and put it back when I replaced the tire a week ago,should have taken the extra ten minutes to check it properly. More work needs to be done soon and I'll take the opportunity to check the vertical alignment then. For now the bike is rideable and it's really growing on me. This animal is a different breed from my dearly departed Sportster for sure.