Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 04:56 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Help with handlebars

I need help with finding the right fit handlebars for me. The problem I have had with all the motorcycles
I have owned has always been stress on my middle-upper back which I fractured many years ago
aggravated by my short reach and having to lean forward. I put the Harley 6" pullback risers on the
bike and it helped. Having done that I bought a set of Street Slammers with 7" integrated pullback
risers thinking that extra inch would help even more. Wrong. With the 6" pullback risers I still had
adjustability with handlebar position. With the Street Slammers I do not and now reach down even more.
I am done messing with this and am going to go with apes.

Any advise?

Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Find a set of mini ape and 1"-2" risers and adjust the bars untilt eh are comfy. The mini apes put the bars around shoulder level when I ride when they in alingment with the fork legs like in my current sig. When I ride with lower bars I can't stand the way it feels and might get an hour or two before I want something taller, (i'm 5'7"). Where abouts in Maryland are you? I down in S.M.I.B.sville area.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:46 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Find a set of mini ape and 1"-2" risers and adjust the bars untilt eh are comfy. The mini apes put the bars around shoulder level when I ride when they in alingment with the fork legs like in my current sig. When I ride with lower bars I can't stand the way it feels and might get an hour or two before I want something taller, (i'm 5'7"). Where abouts in Maryland are you? I down in S.M.I.B.sville area.
Thanks for the info. I have a set of minis in off an '06 Wide Glide with the stock risers. That's what I was thinking about going with, maybe with a taller riser.

I'm 2 miles northeast of Union Bridge.

S.M.I.B.sville = Sabillasville?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by atrox88
Thanks for the info. I have a set of minis in off an '06 Wide Glide with the stock risers. That's what I was thinking about going with, maybe with a taller riser.

I'm 2 miles northeast of Union Bridge.

S.M.I.B.sville = Sabillasville?
The locals here are called SMIBs (Southern Maryland InBreed). Not so much a fact, more for teasing.

Give the bars a try, if the feel better but you still want to go higher, I would recommend taller bars over risers, tall risers (over 4") and apes just don't seem to look right IMO. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:35 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want to reduce the leaning forward, try the risers with a set of
of stock Super Glide Custom bars. You end up very laid back. Here's a not so good picture.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:37 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by blueangel73
The locals here are called SMIBs (Southern Maryland InBreed). Not so much a fact, more for teasing.

Give the bars a try, if the feel better but you still want to go higher, I would recommend taller bars over risers, tall risers (over 4") and apes just don't seem to look right IMO. Good luck.
Yeah I know what you mean about the taller risers with apes. Don't look right to me.

I still get down to Calvert/Charles County/St Mary's quite a bit. I grew up in PG County and lived in Brandywine for awhile after I got out of the army. Spent a few nights in the basement of the Waldorf State Police Barracks when I was younger. Most of the friends live I grew up with live down that way.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:40 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by atlantaallen
If you really want to reduce the leaning forward, try the risers with a set of
of stock Super Glide Custom bars. You end up very laid back. Here's a not so good picture.
I got a set of Fat Boy bars I was going to try but got shot in the head and bought the Street Slammers instead. I'm going to play around with the mini apes and Fat Boy bars with risers and see what's more comfortable. I don't think the mini's will be tall enough to be where I want to be but it will give me an idea where I need to go.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:17 AM
butch patrick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem as you(back surgery). I have solved my low back pain with four inch hd risers on my stock fxdc bars and a mustang solo seat with back rest. I now can ride a lot longer without back pain. This might work for you as well. I like the look of the street slammers but stayed with my stock bars because of the reach difference.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by butch patrick
I had the same problem as you(back surgery). I have solved my low back pain with four inch hd risers on my stock fxdc bars and a mustang solo seat with back rest. I now can ride a lot longer without back pain. This might work for you as well. I like the look of the street slammers but stayed with my stock bars because of the reach difference.
I think that's the same setup as mine. 4 in. pull back risers with fxdc bars painted black

Old 06-06-2014, 12:19 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

8" t-bars with 7" pullback was perfect for my back. Put me cose to stock but higher and also straightened out my wrist. The best thing is they were only 90 bucks through amazon and made by bkriders

Quick Reply: Help with handlebars