Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nube FXDX owner long time XL owner cam tentioner question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Scott Smith
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nube FXDX owner long time XL owner cam tentioner question

Just bought a 2000 FXDX 16000 mi from the original owner. Older guy 68 bike is like new always serviced. I'm used to my bulletproof 1200 sporty and am concerned about this tentioner problem. I have a letter from harley in the paperwork that says the cam bearings could be a problem too. I do all my own work and am thinking about pulling the cam plate cover to check the shoe condition. Is this a priority at this time or can I wait a couple months till the summer is over to pull it apart? I ride year round and have no intentions of getting rid of the sporty
I read the thread of the guy in Honduras that had his **** the bed but that was like 60,000 mi or something
Thanks

Old 06-06-2014, 07:39 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Smith
Just bought a 2000 FXDX 16000 mi from the original owner. Older guy 68 bike is like new always serviced. I'm used to my bulletproof 1200 sporty and am concerned about this tentioner problem. I have a letter from harley in the paperwork that says the cam bearings could be a problem too. I do all my own work and am thinking about pulling the cam plate cover to check the shoe condition. Is this a priority at this time or can I wait a couple months till the summer is over to pull it apart? I ride year round and have no intentions of getting rid of the sporty
I read the thread of the guy in Honduras that had his **** the bed but that was like 60,000 mi or something
Thanks
lf it's only done 16000 miles l think you'd be pretty safe till after summer..... lt's not a big job if you do wanna check it though.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

It only takes 30 minutes to check them, you will only lose about 2-4 oz of oil and I reused my gasket, mine went at 24k and my friends 2001 fxdx went at 22k, give yourself peace of mind and check them, when they go it can get very expensive

seems the newer bikes lasts longer, my friends 05 went at 55k, and another with a touring were changed at 65k

Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM
C.J
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it'll give you peace of mind, pop the cover off and look its real easy to do. I think at 16k your still safe.

You may have updated bearings in the support plate already. I think they started in late 99 with the full roller bearing on the rear cam. But your inner bearings are probably still the caged needle bearing whereas the full compliment needle bearing is what you want.

The job isn't too hard, I did it myself with the help of the HD manual. Cost less then 300 for all the parts too. I save 100 bucks cause I had access to a bearing puller/putter back in tool.

My 99 had 34K and the tensioner shoes were starting to show appreciable wear.

Good luck

Old 06-06-2014, 09:39 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

No doubt change them out or upgrade to the hydraulic cam plate and tensioners. Then do cams while you are in there. Bam! Now you have a bull it proof motor

Old 06-06-2014, 12:12 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

.....on a bit of side note...was 2002 later year for dyna factory Timkin(wonder cause my buddy got a 2000)?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Scott Smith
Thanks
Hey that's me! ...and yes, it took a lot of miles for the tensioner to wear. However, you can never be too sure! I'd say you check 'em every time you change your oil, just to keep track of the wear pattern.

Cam bearings CAN be a problem. Replacing them (outer and inner, 4 bearings total) is not so hard though. (I mean, even I could do it...and I'm an English teacher )

Old 06-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Scott Smith
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
Hey that's me! ...and yes, it took a lot of miles for the tensioner to wear. However, you can never be too sure! I'd say you check 'em every time you change your oil, just to keep track of the wear pattern.

Cam bearings CAN be a problem. Replacing them (outer and inner, 4 bearings total) is not so hard though. (I mean, even I could do it...and I'm an English teacher )
That was a great read! Thanks for posting the step by step. One thing I haven't found is how much is acceptable wear? And the letter from Harley says my SN is one with the suspect bearings. Apparently there are no bearings in the HYdraulic cam plate just oil lubed? Your pics show the bearing cages all tore up is that the problem with the bearings?