Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problems!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Romprunner714
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch problems!

So I just picked up a new (to me) bike. an 07 super glide with a 110ci built motor. the starter was out so we bump stated it so i could ride it home.

I heard a strange sound when letting the clutch out from a dead stop

I took off the primary cover and found that the clutch basket, or "shell" is cracked. there is a tooth missing from the starter gear, I found that floating around. No other visible damage though.

How do i replace this thing? do i need special tools to get the shell/basket off and replaced?

Thanks!!!

Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow you need a new clutch basket! I would hold whoever sold you the bike responsible. Have a full proffesional inspection done to make sure nothing els is messed up! If the starer gear is broken you will need one of those and a new seal for the tranny mainshaft. plus a tool you can make at home to loc the unlock and lock the clutch bolt and compensator sprockets..

Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

You can go the above route (OE replacement) or... the Evolution Industries bullet proof basket setup (bout $700 part#1006-4092)

These get pressed in. It's not uncommon that this will happen w/ a motor that puts out strong HP. Happened to my father in laws build stroker 106.

Last edited by HD Bobber; 06-07-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Romprunner714
Advanced

MaddGhost, If I bought it from a dealer i would definitely be down there causing a scene. But i bought it from a private party. "as is" as they say.. haha.

Wow $700?!? That definitely is out of my budget. Is there anyway to replace just the aluminum part that's cracked? or do i need the entire setup with the gears and everything?

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

I believe the stock basket assembly(first picture) is $250 from JP Cycles, but you might be able to find it maybe a bit cheaper elsewhere, but this could happen again depending how hard you ride.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Romprunner714
Advanced

Damn.. Ya I tend to ride very aggressively. doing wheelies and burnouts as often as I can.

Would this be a good time to get a chain conversion on my bike? or does that not effect the clutch basket?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

Basket has nothing to do with the chain, but since you have the outer primary off and the basket out this would be the time since the inner primary will also need to be off when you the chain conversion.

...if your stock is cracked I'd look into getting one stronger than the stock one especially since you ride it hard and it's got some work done to the 110 (would suck and cost you double if it happened again).

I have learned that sometimes if you tend to go cheaper it will cost you more in the long run.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Romprunner714
Advanced

Alright..

another questions, that im pretty sure i already know the answer too...
would it be a bad idea to just weld it up instead of getting a new basket? haha

Old 06-07-2014, 05:50 PM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Romprunner714
MaddGhost, If I bought it from a dealer i would definitely be down there causing a scene. But i bought it from a private party. "as is" as they say.. haha.

Wow $700?!? That definitely is out of my budget. Is there anyway to replace just the aluminum part that's cracked? or do i need the entire setup with the gears and everything?

Thanks!
With low funds I'd look at sleeving the basket, go visit a machine shop.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Romprunner714

Thanks!
Sorry I think you misunderstood me. I know you didn't buy it from a dealer but don't you still have something called the consumer protection act, unless you signed a paper with whomever you bought it from releasing them from any responsibility. But still the guy had to know something major was wrong with it. So I would get someone really qualified to look into just how much damage is on the bike.

Quick Reply: Clutch problems!