Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick release windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:10 PM
psidaho
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick release windshield

Got myself a H.D. quick release windshield and like it! Never wanted one before but now living in Idaho with what seems like constant wind I'm pleased with the purchase. Easy to put on, the chrome clamps seem tough even after dropping them on my garage floor I can't find a scratch. Tried it out by going into Wyoming at somewhere above speed limit and had a great ride came home took it off and hit the town.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by psidaho
Got myself a H.D. quick release windshield and like it! Never wanted one before but now living in Idaho with what seems like constant wind I'm pleased with the purchase. Easy to put on, the chrome clamps seem tough even after dropping them on my garage floor I can't find a scratch. Tried it out by going into Wyoming at somewhere above speed limit and had a great ride came home took it off and hit the town.
I just completed a 600 mile weekend with the quick release windshield on my FXDC. In addition to the comfort I could not imagine the amount of dead bugs I washed off the windshield being squished on my jacket. Some were as big as small birds!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While this windshield looks great and is as easy as can be to put on and remove, it causes an insane amount of buffeting for me on my SB. I have it in 14" and I can't seem to find a good height when clamping it on.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't tried ANY Harley windshield that doesn't buffet the crap out of me and give me headaches. You'd think I wouldn't have the problem since I'm only 5'8".

Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master

My windshield was OK at best. As has already been said, why the hell HD can't figure out a better
shield escapes me.

I eventually adapted a Memphis Shades Batwing designed for baggers to my 2009 FXDC using the
quick release clamps and it works great.. A LOT of people have done that over the last year or so..

Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain

I think the QR clamps are the best thing to ever happen to windsheilds. What is even better is that you can engineer them to adapt them to all types of other windscreens like the Rifle.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:21 PM
UnknownUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got rid of probably 90% of the buffeting with HD wind deflectors. They are fugly but definitely worth while and an easy install.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by PRODUCTofNJ
While this windshield looks great and is as easy as can be to put on and remove, it causes an insane amount of buffeting for me on my SB. I have it in 14" and I can't seem to find a good height when clamping it on.
What do you mean by buffeting? I experienced buffeting last week on a test ride of an Ultra which I did not expect. My understanding of buffeting is when the airflow goes over the windshield and circles back to the rear of your head thereby pushing it forward. I never experienced THAT before. If you are looking for a small windshield to keep you in a cocoon of undisturbed air you will be looking long and hard unless you go with a full fairing. A windshield on a Dyna will keep the air off your chest and should direct most of the air over your head. As for the height I would start by placing the top of the windshield at a point level with your nose. Unless you have a full face helmet with a seal around the neck you will always have wind blowing you. For long rides at highway speed I have a full face with great ear plugs. I can ride for a long, long time in comfort...

Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 PM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I been wanting a Memphis Shades Slim for my 02 Wide Glide. The mini apes have me all spread eagle in the wind and hanging on for dear life above 55mpg. I must be getting old because it didn't used to bother me.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've noticed, most of the wind comes from under and around the gas tank. Try getting up to speed and use your left hand and see where most of your wind comes from.

Quick Reply: quick release windshield