Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S Stealth breather bolt broke!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:48 AM
bad93snake
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S&S Stealth breather bolt broke!

Damndest thing happen today...I was installing a S&S Cycle Stealth air cleaner and one of the breather bolts snapped before it was even bottomed out, let alone registering on the torque wrench. Luckily it broke right where the threads meet the head so I was able to get it back out (I was sweating bullets for a sec). Not sure what to do now... I ordered it thru Direct Cycle Parts...Should I call them or S&S? I just need a damn bolt in a hurry, got a bike stuck on my lift now! Any ideas where to get one locally, I'm thinking I'm **** outta luck till S&S sends me another one. Kinda worried now about the quality of their bolts, first time using one of these Stealth AC's...

Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 AM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

"I ordered it thru Direct Cycle Parts...Should I call them or S&S?"

If it were me, I'd call both and use whichever bolt arrived fastest and keep the other as a spare!

Re quality of bolts, duds are always possible, given how many different processes they go through and the impossibility (outside aircraft parts engineering) of examining them all individually for flaws etc. I have an S&S teardrop old-school style cleaner and it is good quality - can't testify to the Stealth, but I would imagine it's good too...

Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Same thing happened to me with my Ness but it was just a grub screw for the standoff assembly, nonetheless it was a difficult part to find. I called both Dennis Kirk and Ness and they both stepped up. Of course I lost patience waiting for the mail and located one at a bolt supply warehouse. A breather bolt is less hardware storer and more parts store. I would call both the supplier and manufacturer and race'em. In the mean time, throw your stock back on until the parts arrives and ride.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 AM
DirectCycleParts.com
Sponsor
Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts
Default S&S bolt

Bummer to hear about that. Give us a call or email and we can get on S&S right away to get a new bolt sent out. Also, you can probably find a sufficient temporary bolt to get you riding at a hardware store. Around here we have McFadden-Dales, and I know there are some other stores like these around the US. I can usually find ANY bolt for the bike I need in there. If you take a piece of that broken one with you, you can match up the threads.

Give us a call or email if you would like us to get with S&S about that bolt. Thank you for your business!

edit* also could look in hydraulic parts store. They tend to have a lot of breather/banjo bolt stuff.
Originally Posted by bad93snake
Damndest thing happen today...I was installing a S&S Cycle Stealth air cleaner and one of the breather bolts snapped before it was even bottomed out, let alone registering on the torque wrench. Luckily it broke right where the threads meet the head so I was able to get it back out (I was sweating bullets for a sec). Not sure what to do now... I ordered it thru Direct Cycle Parts...Should I call them or S&S? I just need a damn bolt in a hurry, got a bike stuck on my lift now! Any ideas where to get one locally, I'm thinking I'm **** outta luck till S&S sends me another one. Kinda worried now about the quality of their bolts, first time using one of these Stealth AC's...

Last edited by DirectCycleParts.com; 06-10-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-10-2014, 12:05 PM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The instruction sheet will tell you the size and pitch of the bolt. Just go to hardware/auto parts for the bolt to use till S&S sends the correct one. Out here in the sticks I go to Implement dealers more often than auto parts dealers, more informed parts guys. usually farm boys.
WUZFUZ

7S

Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 PM
bad93snake
Advanced

Originally Posted by DirectCycleParts.com
Bummer to hear about that. Give us a call or email and we can get on S&S right away to get a new bolt sent out. Also, you can probably find a sufficient temporary bolt to get you riding at a hardware store. Around here we have McFadden-Dales, and I know there are some other stores like these around the US. I can usually find ANY bolt for the bike I need in there. If you take a piece of that broken one with you, you can match up the threads.

Give us a call or email if you would like us to get with S&S about that bolt. Thank you for your business!

edit* also could look in hydraulic parts store. They tend to have a lot of breather/banjo bolt stuff.
Got a call into you guys... Gentlemen said he was calling the gal at S&S and would give me a ring back. I appreciate it.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DirectCycleParts.com

Good show direct cycle parts, good show.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I snapped a breather bolt on my S&S teardrop during assembly a while ago. Was just using a torque wrench on it with less pressure than the setting and *ping*.

Mine was level with the head and was a bit of a pain to get out.

Got a replacement from an S&S dealer but it took two goes as there are a few different ones they use.

I'd suggest running a tap into the head bores or otherwise cleaning them out to get rid of any old thread locker still in there before fitting your new one and also use some blue Loctite which will lube things during assembly. Oh and do use a torque wrench as the torque required for these bolts is low.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:09 PM
bad93snake
Advanced

Yeah A+ customer service from Direct Cycle Parts! In particular Steve in Customer Service has been a huge help. He's calling S&S and getting them to drop ship it direct to me. I'll definitely be doing business with them again.