Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebars - Need pullback and wrist angle

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Trial dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebars - Need pullback and wrist angle

I have searched this forum and found lots of information about handlebars but haven't had much luck finding the details I am looking for. My wife rides a 2011 Street Bob. We have it fitting her well with the exception of the bars. Still have the stock mini apes on. They need pulled back for her short arms (she won't give up her seat to go forward more). If you pull the bars back far enough the wrist angle is no good. Anyone slayed this dragon?

Here's what I think I need but can't seem to find: Probably 8" of rise and at least 8" to preferably 10" of pullback with a fairly straight (I am thinking about 25%) wrist angle. I may need to use some risers as well as a bar but the triple tree top has the built in riser so I would prefer not to have to change it out or clutter it up too much.

The Arlen Ness Fly Bars look pretty close to what I am needing but would have to change out the triple tree top for that. I also considered some Wild 1 bars, but the wrist angle looks like it may be too much if pulled back where she needs it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, thoughts, experiences.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Tomh1962
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Take her to the dealer and have her find something close to what she likes in height, angle, reach, etc... and go from there... just randomly calling out numbers for this or that is make it a lot more difficult to fit... it's like shoes, you gotta try'em on first... and it's not practical to buy multiple sets of handlebars... so the next best thing is to find a bike with bars that she likes... and go from there...

Look at the new Low Rider handlebar setup with the adjustable riser... maybe something like that will slay your proverbial dragon...

Last edited by Tomh1962; 06-10-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Trial dog
I have searched this forum and found lots of information about handlebars but haven't had much luck finding the details I am looking for. My wife rides a 2011 Street Bob. We have it fitting her well with the exception of the bars. Still have the stock mini apes on. They need pulled back for her short arms (she won't give up her seat to go forward more). If you pull the bars back far enough the wrist angle is no good. Anyone slayed this dragon?

Here's what I think I need but can't seem to find: Probably 8" of rise and at least 8" to preferably 10" of pullback with a fairly straight (I am thinking about 25%) wrist angle. I may need to use some risers as well as a bar but the triple tree top has the built in riser so I would prefer not to have to change it out or clutter it up too much.

The Arlen Ness Fly Bars look pretty close to what I am needing but would have to change out the triple tree top for that. I also considered some Wild 1 bars, but the wrist angle looks like it may be too much if pulled back where she needs it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, thoughts, experiences.
This is just a thought. Do you think 6" pullback risers would work for her with the stock bars? I went through problems with my '05 Super Glide and now my '09 Fat Bob. I put the 6" pullback risers on the Fat Bob and helped a lot. I figured the HD Street Slammers would work even better because of the 7" risers. I was wrong. By using risers I could adjust the bars if necessary. With the street slammers I can't.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Trial dog
Tourer

Tom,
Of course you are right and we are going to try that this weekend. We have been a few times and couldn't get anyone to spend the time with us. One problem is that the dealer has limited bar styles available but maybe we will get lucky and find something. The adjustable riser actually looks like it could do the trick.
Thanks.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 AM
Trial dog
Tourer

Originally Posted by atrox88
This is just a thought. Do you think 6" pullback risers would work for her with the stock bars? I went through problems with my '05 Super Glide and now my '09 Fat Bob. I put the 6" pullback risers on the Fat Bob and helped a lot. I figured the HD Street Slammers would work even better because of the 7" risers. I was wrong. By using risers I could adjust the bars if necessary. With the street slammers I can't.
I will look into that. She's not crazy about the height of the stock bars but the biggest problem is the wrist angle. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 AM
snatchcat
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Trial dog
I will look into that. She's not crazy about the height of the stock bars but the biggest problem is the wrist angle. Thanks.
just an idea, but wondering if that new adjustable riser/bar set-up from a 14 low rider doesn't bolt on? and if she likes black, the 48 bar looks good on a dyna because their center width is mid-glide, not narrow like the other Sportster bars... maybe two inches narrower tip to tip than the new L.R. bars?

and good for her she doesn't want to be boosted forward in the seat!... looks stooped, and probably feels like it too!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 AM
snatchcat
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

the 48 bars are 28 1/2 wide, so 3.25 narrower than the stock mini-apes... much nicer feel for me!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 AM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

I just orderd a set of rox risers for a 2008 superglide, take a look at them they might be what you need. you can move the bars as needed. like the adjustable on the new low rider .

Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

These are 2010 Wide Glide/Fat Boy Lo bars, obviously you'll need appropriately sized risers but they are very neutral as far as wrist angle goes and easy to find for not much $$$.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:04 PM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2010 Fat Boy bars are good but the 2012-2014 Fat Boy bars will give you a good deal more pull back. Note that these are 1.25 in bars.

Quick Reply: Handlebars - Need pullback and wrist angle