Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick release backrest w/ "whole lotta shakin going on"

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 09:10 PM
vern58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick release backrest w/ "whole lotta shakin going on"

Just completed the attachment of a detachable sideplate/backrest on my 2012 WG and now have a "whole lotta shakin" going on behind me from the bike's natural vibration. Quick detach clamps are locked down snug on the rear frame rail studs but there is some minor play between the forward mounting studs on the frame rail and the c-shaped engagement on the side plates. I would have to think this is necessary in order to remove the side rails from the forward mounting studs. Anybody else experienced this and what have you done to reduce it?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,633 Likes on 781 Posts

It seems these are not "precision" machined pieces. Mine are just the opposite as I cannot remove the backrest. I have read where people wrap electrical tape to take up the space.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 PM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same problem on my Sportster, with brand new hardware no less. No noise when somebody riding b!tch or when you have some luggage. I tried bending the c-cutouts (sideways) a bit to make it tighter but did not help much. What worked best was to loosen the bolts on the sideplates and twist one down and the other up a bit... so it's not sitting flat when set on the floor. The slight offset would preload the attachment enough to prevent rattle.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 PM
fatrobbert
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My right side rattled when I first installed my QD sideplates, switched the rear mounts side to side and the rattle was gone. Didn't really bother me because I couldn't hear it over my exhaust just did it while I was servicing the bike. Worth a shot and won't cost you but 5 minutes.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:46 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had mine on my FXD for close to 4 years and haven't had any problems. The attachment points are still really snug. Try wrapping the studs with black tape like Antonio suggested

Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

electrical tape and stretching the base a bit then squeezing it back on to mount it. (i dont ever take it off)

Old 06-12-2014, 01:12 AM
CGURRO
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My Switchback has the same problem. Electrical tape is the answer. The mount on my FXDX was good to go. Luck of the draw I guess.

Good luck

Old 06-12-2014, 06:56 AM
John_K
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good idea with the electrical tape - wish I thought of that

Old 06-12-2014, 07:12 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Space the docking points out a little with a flat washer.

My brother runs one and it doesn't vibrate now.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:48 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same Sissy bar and mine did rattle also. The electrical tape is the answer. All you need is about one wrap at all four docking points and it will stay rattle free until you remove it. I also went to lowes and bought some small rubber o-rings that you can streach over the front docking points and that works also. I cant stand feeling it rattle. You can trim up the tape with a razor blade and you want even see it.

Quick Reply: Quick release backrest w/ "whole lotta shakin going on"