Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipons to Stage One

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 03:07 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More Research.............

Originally Posted by Cardstang
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Just for the record, I'm not intending on going back to stock...ever. Poor wording in my original post may have caused some confusion.

I've done some research and have some follow-up questions. I think below I've listed all the ones available. I know that sometimes you get what you pay for, but is there much of an advantage to the $500 unit over the $200 one?

$331 Fuel Pack 3 (I think I've seen it as low as $300)
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/10202203.html

$499 Power Vision
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/10201494.html

$299 Power Commander
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/15-022.html

$199 Micro EFI Tuner
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/fm-021.html
Do a little research on the ThunderMax Auto tuner as well..........

Live Free = Ride Free......

And do what you want to do to your Harley................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,825 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
The Cats that come stock on the newer bikes don't do anybody any favors.

But they're not all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Because your camshaft sucks. So does mine, don't take it personally.

There is no overlap in our stock cams. None. In fact, there is negative 'overlap'. So, somebody please explain to me how the exhaust can make a difference in the air/fuel mixture entering the combustion chamber.

It doesn't. It can't unless the exhaust system is so bad (possible on the stock exhaust) that it's not allowing the exhaust gases to even exit the combustion chamber. Possible on the stock exhaust. It's pretty bad.

Your other confusion is in the term you're trying to find for the headers. They're about as good as it gets. You have slip-ons and like them? Great, don't fuss with the header tubes. They've even got a nice crossover/balancing tube in them, IIRC.

Can you go back to stock? Sure. If you sell your bike to a European someday, he'll need the stock exhaust so he can import the bike into Europe.

Other than that..... Why would you want to go back to stock?

On the intake side, all you need is the Dealer download. It's all I got and my bike runs like a striped-assed ape.

Good enough for me and good enough for a Harley. You can put $5,000 in your Harley and you'll still get sucked up the exhaust of a 600cc Honda as he goes by you. If I wanted to go fast, I'd buy a cheap motorcycle and big helmet.

No thanks.

I put my Stage I Air Cleaner on myself and, believe me, if I can do it -- You can do it.

I then rode it to the Dealer where they put the download on it.

Maybe I got lucky, maybe I got the right guy doing it, maybe this and maybe that...... But I'm telling you...... It runs good. Really good.

For a Harley.

My neighbor has 95CID Wide Glide withe Screaming Eagle heads and an SE204 Cam and I have NO trouble keeping up with him.

Over 100MPH? I am NOT interested. Been there, don't like it.

Bottom line; it's your bike, do what you want. But don't go looking for problems. You start fiddle-farting around with piggy-back systems and bull squirt like that, you're asking for trouble.

If you want to make the bike run FAST (don't know why you'd want to spend all that money so you can still get embarrassed by a 600cc Honda), then you need to replace your cam post haste.

Then you need to have it professionally tuned by someone COMPETENT. Usually a Dealer or an Indy using the TTS system.

Keep something in mind.... You're riding a legend. A legend using 1930's technology.

NAnd Harley Davidson doesn't make Motorcycles, they make Harleys.

If you gotta ask
Couldn't agree more with this post. I have SE air box, Vance and Hines slipons, and dealer download. My bike runs GREAT. I had ''tuners'' before and they were nothing but headaches. A simple stage one needs nothing more than the download. If you're not doing anything more, save your money.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 06-24-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 AM
spdrcrjl
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the "dealer download"? What does it do?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:36 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Just for the record, I'm not intending on going back to stock...ever. Poor wording in my original post may have caused some confusion.

I've done some research and have some follow-up questions. I think below I've listed all the ones available. I know that sometimes you get what you pay for, but is there much of an advantage to the $500 unit over the $200 one?

$331 Fuel Pack 3 (I think I've seen it as low as $300)
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/10202203.html

$499 Power Vision
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/10201494.html

$299 Power Commander
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/15-022.html

$199 Micro EFI Tuner
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/fm-021.html
With the PV you are paying for some convenience and versatility.
You don't have to "install" this tuner on your bike. Just hook it up to reflash your ECM to accommodate your mods and remove. You can be done using the preloaded programs.

If you end up doing more to your engine, you are still good to go.

By purchasing another license for around $200 you can also use it on another bike.

It's very easy so most members swear by them once they've used a PV.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Pappy1955
Advanced

Love this.

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Good enough for me and good enough for a Harley. You can put $5,000 in your Harley and you'll still get sucked up the exhaust of a 600cc Honda as he goes by you. If I wanted to go fast, I'd buy a cheap motorcycle and big helmet.

No thanks.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:46 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Power Commander 3 never did get it to work good, Matter of fact it SUCKED !!! Tried the Power Vision and loaded the tune that dynojet sent me and worked pretty good. I played with the tune and on fourth try it ROCKED !!!

I loved to have want with the thundermax system and some day i may but it sure seemed pretty expensive. After studying the screaming eagle and tts system. I was sold on the powervision and very happy i choose it.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Cardstang
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

After talking to a friend at work who wrenches on his own bike and also a local independent bike shop, I went with the Power Commander V. I added the SE intake and had Fuel Moto provide the map when I bought the PCV from them.

The intake was fairly straight forward. The PCV was a different story. There is no room to work with trying to finangle the module. I finally got it but it was a huge pain.

The thing I noticed first was the sound. The idle is much lower and now I really have that classic rumble. It's awesome.

I also notice that my shift points are different. I basically am a gear lower now than before.

I removed the front O2 sensor but left the back one in. Do I need to plug the hole left in the front?

I'm really pleased with it.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:59 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I removed the front O2 sensor but left the back one in. Do I need to plug the hole left in the front?

I'm really pleased with it.
Ummm......so right now you have a hole in the header pipe where the front O2 sensor used to be? No wonder it sounds louder!

Yeah - you should plug it for sure! Or even put the O2 sensor back in....

Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500 miles on my stage 1 download and the bike runs very smooth. I have no complaints at this point. I wish I could ride it back to back with a Powervision tuner. I don't want to waste my money.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Baker86
Stage IV
Default dealer download or tuner??

Just upgraded my ride, went from a 98 sporty 1200c to a new '14 street bob103ci and i've been thinking about doing an stage 1 upgrade, dont like that stock mufflers sound at all (reminds me of my grandmas sewing machine haha)
****So is the dealer download good enough?*** or the tuner way its better?