Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a Wide GLide

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:02 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lowering a Wide GLide

Wondering what might be the least expensive but satisfactory way to lower my Wide Glide a little bit. This is NOT for looks. I am short and would like to be just an inch or so lower for better footing. I am running a Sundowner seat over the stock seat and love it, but it raises me up a bit. Don't want to mess with the seat because I've been down that road before and never been happy.

I remember I had a Street Bob and bought lowering "blocs" from someone here on the forum. Not sure what they were, who he was, but they did work well and weren't expensive. Not sure that's an option for a Wide Glide, or if there is anything similar?

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:38 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Harley sells a lowering kit for WGs (54625-06 spring type) (54619-08 solid shell) that lower about 1".

Old 06-17-2014, 03:26 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
Harley sells a lowering kit for WGs (54625-06 spring type) (54619-08 solid shell) that lower about 1".
Thanks for your reply. Was hoping for a less expensive alternative. But meanwhile, my hubby added a gel pad to my stock seat so for around town it will be a bit more bearable, and I can flat foot solidly. May just stick with that and use the Sundowner for long trips, where I won't care as much that I am not as solidly flatfooted as I'd like.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:49 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

You can purchase 1" or 1.75" lowering blocks for your Wide Glide. We offer them in both sizes. You can check them out at this LINK.

Here is a picture of one of our customers bikes:

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-17-2014, 04:36 PM
socialoutcast
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom Products
You can purchase 1" or 1.75" lowering blocks for your Wide Glide. We offer them in both sizes. You can check them out at this LINK.

Here is a picture of one of our customers bikes:

I have been wanting to lower my wide glide as well. However I am worried I will lose my 2 up capability and need to keep that for the wife. How bad does lowering the bike 1 - 1.5" effect rubbing while 2 up? Are blocks just as good as shocks if you are not really looking at the performance aspect?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:58 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by socialoutcast
I have been wanting to lower my wide glide as well. However I am worried I will lose my 2 up capability and need to keep that for the wife. How bad does lowering the bike 1 - 1.5" effect rubbing while 2 up? Are blocks just as good as shocks if you are not really looking at the performance aspect?
For the 1" lowering blocks on a Wide Glide, you can still ride 2 up and not have bottoming out issues.

With the 1.75" lowering blocks, you can ride with up to 225 lbs with the max shock settings.

They still utilize your shocks, so it will be the same quality of ride, just a bit lower.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:14 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Hmmm ... DK Custom ... thanks for the link. Price is more around what I can spend right now. Will it change the general handling of the bike? Would I need to lower the front forks as well? Definitely something to consider.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:22 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by June Bug
Hmmm ... DK Custom ... thanks for the link. Price is more around what I can spend right now. Will it change the general handling of the bike? Would I need to lower the front forks as well? Definitely something to consider.
When you lower the rear of the bike, it will change the center of gravity some. It will also provide a smoother ride. It will change the handling by making the front end/steering not quite so twitchy, and a little more stable. Most do not even notice this on a 1" drop. Even on the 1.75" drop, some do not notice.

Some people do lower the front end as well, but it is not something that you HAVE to do. It is just a preference thing.

Last edited by DK Custom Products; 06-18-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by June Bug
If you decide that you want to lower the front, it can be done by just sliding the forks up in the trees. Zero dollars, no loss of suspension travel, and about a 5 minute job, once you have the weight off the front end.

Yes, lowering will change the handling of the bike, if you ride aggressively enough that you're close to running out of cornering clearance. Won't be able to corner as fast.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Le Vizir
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I am in the same choice, blocks or Burly kit but this is not same price..
Notice you must control your rear belt clearance if you low your bike much as 1"..!
And Nice customer wg bike you post here DK (i have your relocalisation kit coil and i' m very happy with) but i see this WG have a reach reduced forward control too .

Quick Reply: Lowering a Wide GLide