Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first dyna

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 05:11 AM
NickZ89
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first dyna

Hows it going, just purchased my first harley. I have been riding dirtbikes my whole life and had a crotchrocket for a while. Have always wanted a harley as everyone in my family rides. Yesterday i bought a 2009 fxd bone stock. i love it and already have a couple plans for it. I was planning on doing a 2 into 1 pipe(maybe a TH but open to suggestions) and given my dirtbike background i am definitely planning on doing a forbidden riser/protaper bar set up. i was just wondering, if i do the exhaust, do any other mods have to be done to support that? I am totally new at working on these bikes. thanks in advance!

Nick

Old 06-15-2014, 06:37 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome. Congrats on your first HD.
First get yourself a service manual. That and these forums will get you thru a lot of projects and problems. Make sure your bars and risers will fit and are 1" bars. Not 7/8" as most of the dirt bike bars are.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 AM
mikeg212001
Tourer

Congrats on the bike, and welcome to the family! As far as doing the exhaust, you can get away with just a pipe, but once you do an air cleaner, then you will need a fuel management as well, such as a power commander, power vision, fuel pack, etc.
The bikes run a little lean from the factory, so you might get some decel popping from the exhaust, without a programmer, but it wont hurt anything. Again, congrats, ride safe, and have fun!!

Old 06-15-2014, 02:45 PM
NickZ89
Intermediate

thanks guys. I was just checking because I am not planning on dumping money into the bike right away. Maybe just bars and an exhaust for now,
then see what happens over the winter. I believe the forbidden risers come sleeved to hold 1 1/8 dirbike bars. as for a pipe, looking for a 2 into 1 still doing research i wont pull the trigger for a few weeks anyway. this site will definitely be a big help because i like to work on my own cars and bikes and i have no experience working on harleys yet! thanks in advance lol

Old 06-15-2014, 03:33 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats and welcome! There is a lot of advise here. Throw up a pic when you get a chance

Old 06-15-2014, 03:41 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by NickZ89
thanks guys. I was just checking because I am not planning on dumping money into the bike right away. Maybe just bars and an exhaust for now,
then see what happens over the winter. I believe the forbidden risers come sleeved to hold 1 1/8 dirbike bars. as for a pipe, looking for a 2 into 1 still doing research i wont pull the trigger for a few weeks anyway. this site will definitely be a big help because i like to work on my own cars and bikes and i have no experience working on harleys yet! thanks in advance lol
If you are a dirt/sport bike guy, then check out the 2:1 exhausts from RSD (Slant 2:1) and D&D (BobCat). I think the styling might appeal to you and they are both meant to be very good pipes.

Enjoy your bike!

Old 06-15-2014, 03:47 PM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forums
As was said above, you can learn a lot from doing a search or asking a specific question. Lots of good advice here

Old 06-15-2014, 05:52 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you may need longer cables depending on the riser/bar rise, if so stock street bob/fxdb cables will work up to bout 13/14 inches. can get some used stock cables on here or ebay maybe for cheap. im not sure how much rise you can go on FXD cables.

here are my Forbidden 11s with Rm Low bars on stock fxdb cables

Attached Thumbnails first dyna-new-top-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
DynaScoot (06-17-2020)
Old 06-16-2014, 04:36 PM
NickZ89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by adm
If you are a dirt/sport bike guy, then check out the 2:1 exhausts from RSD (Slant 2:1) and D&D (BobCat). I think the styling might appeal to you and they are both meant to be very good pipes.

Enjoy your bike!

looked both of those up deff likin that style! thanks

Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 PM
NickZ89
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brandon95354
you may need longer cables depending on the riser/bar rise, if so stock street bob/fxdb cables will work up to bout 13/14 inches. can get some used stock cables on here or ebay maybe for cheap. im not sure how much rise you can go on FXD cables.

here are my Forbidden 11s with Rm Low bars on stock fxdb cables

that is my plan..11s for the riser..looks awesome man how do you like em

Quick Reply: first dyna