Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problems

Old 06-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Romprunner714
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter problems

I looked through the forums and couldnt find a thread for a similatr problem..

I just bought a 2007 dyna with built 100 motor. it had a Bad starter. the old clutch hub was cracked, and starter ring has missing teeth. I replaced the clutch hub. and replaced the starter with an "Arrowhead 1.6kw Starter"

Now the problem is, The starter worked great the first time for test ride.. The second time it sounded like the jump gear was hitting the starter ring so it just "clicked"

it will click the first couple times i hit the start button, then it will start up.

i took off the primary, and sure enough there were fresh metal shavings.. and the starters jump gear was not aligned with the jump ring..

Whats going on? shouldn't it self align?

(also the battery is good)

Thanks ahead of time for any input! I am truly lost on this one.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 PM
o0smitters0o
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A built 100"? I had a similar problem on an evo. The clicking may because its stuck between teeth or check the load on battery. Mine problem was that it was not shimmed correctly. I know its a different engine, but if it has modifications you may have to work your way back starting with primary. check teeth on all sprockets. Good Luck! Grab a HD Service Manual and Parts Catalog. Ronnie's OEM Parts finder.com can be a great resource for schematics and parts.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Romprunner714
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o0smitters0o
A built 100"? I had a similar problem on an evo. The clicking may because its stuck between teeth or check the load on battery. Mine problem was that it was not shimmed correctly. I know its a different engine, but if it has modifications you may have to work your way back starting with primary. check teeth on all sprockets. Good Luck! Grab a HD Service Manual and Parts Catalog. Ronnie's OEM Parts finder.com can be a great resource for schematics and parts.
Sorry I meant 110" not 100. Its not stuck between the teeth, I tried it with the primary cover off to see what was going on.. its just ramming right into the teeth on the starter gear, rather than going in between them.