Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need aftermarket wheel bearing....

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need aftermarket wheel bearing....

Hi all;
Been a while since I've been here. Had a new rear tire put on this afternoon. Indy found my belt-side wheel bearing had a split race. I brought it home and got out the puller...

Hoping someone here can steer me to an aftermarket equivalent bearing...
2006 Wide Glide with 1" axle

Old 06-25-2014, 04:38 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Look into Timken bearings.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:02 AM
CouchMaster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do some measuring and make sure the spacer inside the wheel is long enough.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you found this out before it hurt you.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
Hi all; Been a while since I've been here. Had a new rear tire put on this afternoon. Indy found my belt-side wheel bearing had a split race. I brought it home and got out the puller... Hoping someone here can steer me to an aftermarket equivalent bearing... 2006 Wide Glide with 1" axle
Timken is now koyo. Ronnies hd has a nice parts lookup you should be able to get the right koyo number from there using the hd part number . My local stores only had Chinese bearings I had to go to eBay to get a timken/koyo. It arrived branded timken still.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:49 AM
BuckeyeUltra
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
Timken is now koyo. Ronnies hd has a nice parts lookup you should be able to get the right koyo number from there using the hd part number . My local stores only had Chinese bearings I had to go to eBay to get a timken/koyo. It arrived branded timken still.
Timken [Torrington] needle bearings are now Koyo. Timken still has all the ball bearings, tapered bearing, and large industrial stuff.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

A member PM'd me about the bearing puller tool I used, and had posted a review about on Amazon. I will HIGHLY recommend the Pit Posse bearing puller/installer. The Harbor Freight tool has the similar expanding collets to grip the bearing between the race and spacer, but its slide-hammer action wouldn't budge either rear wheel bearing when I tried it on my Road King rear wheel. I bought the P-P puller after failing with the RK, and having an indy replace its bearings.
Used the P-P this time, on the Wide Glide...worked perfectly! FWIW.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:21 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A member PM'd me about the bearing puller tool I used, and had posted a review about on Amazon. I will HIGHLY recommend the Pit Posse bearing puller/installer. The Harbor Freight tool has the similar expanding collets to grip the bearing between the race and spacer, but its slide-hammer action wouldn't budge either rear wheel bearing when I tried it on my Road King rear wheel. I bought the P-P puller after failing with the RK, and having an indy replace its bearings.
Used the P-P this time, on the Wide Glide...worked perfectly! FWIW.

Thank You, Did you find a good place to get brand name 1 inch bearings cheap?

Last edited by parts eeter; 07-01-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:07 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member

No one seems to know of a manufacturer & p/n. Must be because of the mix of metric and US dimensions for those of us with the 1" axle. Plenty for sale on ebay for cheap, but maker/quality seem to be unknown. Sure would be nice to have a Fafnir, SKF, Timkin, or other 'name brand' bearing number to go to. The pair I bought from HDealer was $69 (and not the GOOD 69!).

Old 07-02-2014, 09:11 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No one seems to know of a manufacturer & p/n. Must be because of the mix of metric and US dimensions for those of us with the 1" axle. Plenty for sale on ebay for cheap, but maker/quality seem to be unknown. Sure would be nice to have a Fafnir, SKF, Timkin, or other 'name brand' bearing number to go to. The pair I bought from HDealer was $69 (and not the GOOD 69!).
The fella at the auto parts store seemed confident he could cross refernce the bearing part number for me. He has a funky chopper and seems pretty good with that stuff. I might just snag another set of HD Bearings though and try again with the new bearing tool.

Quick Reply: Need aftermarket wheel bearing....