Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 FXDC problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 01:49 PM
FXDC_Dan
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 FXDC problem

Hey all, new to posting but I have been clicking through the forums and pulling info from here for a while. Quick background on the bike: 2012 superglide with 2k miles, just pulled it out if storage after it sat in climate controlled building for a year. Battery was removed and hooked up to a tender for the time it sat in storage. When I went to get it out of storage to put the battery back in and tried to start it only to have a dead battery( powers on, pump cycles, starter click no start) no big deal I hooked it up to a battery charger and fired it right up. Next day I installed a RSD AC , VH comp 2-1, and a fuelpak with recommended settings from VH. Again, bike battery was dead so I charged it for a few hour and fired it up. Bike ran fine for about 10 mins into my ride then it lost all power and I couldn't take it over 2100 rpm without it almost stalling out. I limped it home in first gear at 15 mph and let it idle for a few minutes. Thought it was the battery or the battery tender that was giving it problems so I took them to a harley dealer and they tested both and said both were perfectly fine. So my question is what's next? I'm new to Harley's but not new to working on motors, cars, bikes, etc. My next step is to test the charging system on the bike to see if that is the culprit but just trying to get some advice to see if anyone has had problems similar to this that can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2014, 03:32 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest disconnecting the fuelpak and see how it runs then. I had one once on my old Sportster and it was a pos.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The first thing I would ask is if the dealer "load tested" the battery. My 2011 dyna battery would read the right voltage but failed the load test. I wasn't having any running issues but after I installed the new battery I didn't have any slow starting.

Once you know the battery is fine I would check to see if it is throwing any codes and go from there.

And I agree about disconnecting the fuelpak at least until you get to the bottom of the problem. Take it out of the equation.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:37 PM
FXDC_Dan
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys, I was able to charge the battery up and ride it home and had no issues, ran out of time today to trouble shoot but over the next two days I should be able to start figuring out what's going on. Bike ran and sounded great so I can't wait to get it out and put some miles on it. Thanks again.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Make sure when you put the battery cover back on that the red rubber insulator covers the positive battery connections completely so that it doesn't make any contact with the metal cover.