Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leak from backside of primary??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default leak from backside of primary??

Hey all,

I've noticed here a while ago that after a few hundred miles (not necessarily all at once) I get a couple drops of oil on the ground. It feels like is coming from the bottom of the primary, however both inner and outer primary gaskets were replaced by dealership around 2000 miles ago so I can't image that's it. And besides that if it just sits for a while there is no leak (had a few weeks of bad hail storms where it didn't get out much and there was no oil on the ground). I'm thinking maybe its coming from somewhere on the back side of the primary. (Maybe when the oil starts moving around it finds a spot not on the bottom of the primary). I'm planning on checking everything when I get a chance tonight but was hoping you guys might be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Odds are, it's a primary seal leaking...Fairly easy fix and pretty common.
Keep your fingers crossed that it's not the mainshaft seal which is less common but a pain in the *** to fix sometimes.

The inner primary will have to come off to fix either of those.

To be perfectly honest, if it's just a few drops every now and then, I'd leave it alone and ride it like that, 'til it gets worse.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:37 PM
wyotana
Tourer

I was planning on doing just that. Just keep riding until it gets worse or until its time for winter projects.

I do have the Extended service plan, but the dealership here claims that they would have to charge me shop time until they found out what was wrong and then contact ESP to see if its covered. Personally as long as it's not too expensive or overly complicated I would rather do it myself.

Last edited by wyotana; 06-28-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

With a strong flashlight look at the shift shaft going into the transmission. Every time you shift the seal gets a rub.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:58 PM
wyotana
Tourer

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
With a strong flashlight look at the shift shaft going into the transmission. Every time you shift the seal gets a rub.
Good thinking, I'll check there first.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by wyotana
I was planning on doing just that. Just keep riding until it gets worse or until its time for winter projects.

I do have the Extended service plan, but the dealership here claims that they would have to charge me shop time until they found out what was wrong and then contact ESP to see if its covered. Personally as long as it's not too expensive or overly complicated I would rather do it myself.
If you have a service manual and are handy with a wrench, it's not a bad job.
Take your time...Replace the shifter shaft seal while you're in there even if it's not leaking.
I replace the shifter shaft seal every time I have the inner primary off of a bike.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Clean it up and look starting high. It could be any number of things including the oil filter. The only thing anyone can guarantee it's not is the WY plate. There is more chance it is leaking from what a dealer does then before he worked on it. Actually cleaned up, a few drop leak is pretty hard to find. My air filter throws that much out, drips on the cam cover and runs down.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-28-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully your tranny mainshaft bearing is not going out.

Mine went out and took the seal, but it was a good sized leak.

I run gear lube in the tranny so it is easy to smell what is leaking. lol

What are you running in all holes? May be able to pinpoint whether tranny or primary.

Check out my thread on doing the tranny mainshaft bearing:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-upgrades.html

Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if it looks like it comes from the middle of the primary and the drain plug has drips on it then it is the inner primary mainshaft seal. the part is 25$ or so but the outer primary and inner primary have to come out, plus the compensating sprocket, the chain and the clutch pak and that means you need the inner primary bolts as well. Don't bother replacing metal gaskets they last and last.

The good news I have for you is that job is covered under warranty. Let them mess with it!

If your dealer changed those inner and outer gaskets he is a dumb-*** for not replacing the mainshaft seal while he was in there. Heck he most probably messed it up putting on the inner primary!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 PM
wyotana
Tourer

Originally Posted by maddghost
if it looks like it comes from the middle of the primary and the drain plug has drips on it then it is the inner primary mainshaft seal. the part is 25$ or so but the outer primary and inner primary have to come out, plus the compensating sprocket, the chain and the clutch pak and that means you need the inner primary bolts as well. Don't bother replacing metal gaskets they last and last.

The good news I have for you is that job is covered under warranty. Let them mess with it!

If your dealer changed those inner and outer gaskets he is a dumb-*** for not replacing the mainshaft seal while he was in there. Heck he most probably messed it up putting on the inner primary!
I seem the remember on the work order that the or rings for the shaft were also replaced... Weather or not that actually did it is a different story. But the oil doesn't seem to be leaking from the plug where the mids used to be. The oil drops right in line with the kickstand under the primary. I honestly thought at first that it was the outer primary gasket but considering it was just changed and that the leak only occurns after I've ridden led me to believe otherwise.

Quick Reply: leak from backside of primary??