Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 02:57 AM
jbersaglia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Conversion

Looking to turn my rear turn/brake/running lights into LED's. Right now they are the stock HD bullet-style lights. What do I need if I just want to replace the bulb with an LED? I have seen something about using an equalizer but not sure what that is or what it does. Anyone got experience in this task?

Old 07-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Ernst
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swapped in Radiantz LED clusters front and back with no equalizers or anything on my '13 FXDB and everything works great. There was non of the rapidly flashing dash lights or any other weirdness.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Go here, http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...rn_signals.htm, and a little past the half way point on the page you'll find these.

"Complete HD Motorcycle Turn Signal Insert Kits
Fits All HDs '91 to '14 with OEM Incandescent Turn Signals"

The cost is a little high, but its everything you'd need.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:09 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Plus 1 on Custom Dynamics.
The equalizer sends the correct signal to the TSSM that the system is working ok. The LEDs draw far less power and create less resistance that makes the TSSM think a bulb is blown. The equalizer fixes this.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:58 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

I'll add another vote for the Custom Dynamics clusters. More $ but said to be brighter and better quality than the HD LED's, and other brands.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:32 AM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Custom Dynamics here.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Jason Oates
Tourer

The CDs do look very nice.

I went with the Kuryakyn Super Bright LEDs; smaller and kept it a very streamlined look along the fender strut. They actually are very bright for some little lights and I'd highly recommend them.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:17 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did both my front and back with Custom Dynamics. Very easy to install. Plug and play. Have had them for 2-3 months and no problem. My wife says when she follows my bike the rear lights are very bright.
On their wait list for the headlight they are developing.
Roger

Old 07-02-2014, 03:32 AM
slozomby
Road Master

Originally Posted by jbersaglia
Looking to turn my rear turn/brake/running lights into LED's. Right now they are the stock HD bullet-style lights. What do I need if I just want to replace the bulb with an LED? I have seen something about using an equalizer but not sure what that is or what it does. Anyone got experience in this task?
the custom dynamics kits are nice and easy to install. you'll need the bulb replacement and their run turn brake module. a load equalizer is required for pre '12 dynas.

they are required because the way signals operate is the onboard computer is expecting a certain amount of load on the signal lines when operational. when it doesnt get that amount of load ( because led's use less power) it thinks the light is burned out and causes the lights to blink faster.( to indicate the light is burnt out). if the fast blink doesnt bother you, and properly operating turn signals are not required in your jurisdiction, then you dont really need one. but i've been pulled over before by a "helpful" police officer to let me know the light was blinking fast and i should check my turn signals.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:57 AM
chris h.
Tourer

Originally Posted by slozomby
the custom dynamics kits are nice and easy to install. you'll need the bulb replacement and their run turn brake module. a load equalizer is required for pre '12 dynas.

they are required because the way signals operate is the onboard computer is expecting a certain amount of load on the signal lines when operational. when it doesnt get that amount of load ( because led's use less power) it thinks the light is burned out and causes the lights to blink faster.( to indicate the light is burnt out). if the fast blink doesnt bother you, and properly operating turn signals are not required in your jurisdiction, then you dont really need one. but i've been pulled over before by a "helpful" police officer to let me know the light was blinking fast and i should check my turn signals.
I don't have a load equalizer on mine. I think as long as you just do the rears and not the fronts you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: LED Conversion