Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 Dyna Won't Start! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:47 PM
FXDKEV
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Dyna Won't Start! Need help!

I was on my way to Born Free on Sunday and my bike died on me! Not too knowledgeable with my new (to me) Dyna. It's a '96 Wide Glide.

I was going about 80 on the freeway, no sign of any issues, when it started bogging out. I knew it was going to die, so i pulled over. As soon as i let off the throttle, the engine died. I tried to start it back up again. If it ran, it was only for a couple seconds or immediately die as soon as I rolled on the throttle in the slightest bit. Most of the time I would try to start it, it would backfire or make a grinding noise underneath the seat (transmission/starter area?)

It never had issues starting before, but I would occasionally get the backfiring. Sometimes I get a lot of backfiring when I let off the throttle at higher RPMs. I can't seem to find an answer related to the issues I'm having. Most people that post threads (on any forum) tend to not post what the final outcome was and how they solved the issue.

I have since cleaned out the carburetor completely, replaced the spark plugs (previous ones looked like they were old), and charged up the battery. I also made sure I was getting fuel to the carb. I am still having the same issues and don't know where to look. Any help and ideas would be appreciated!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:00 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like a fuel problem. You said you cleaned out the carb, how did you do this? Was it torn completely down or did you just use a can of carb cleaner. It just might be all gummed up internally causing the fuel not to flow or possibly a bad or sticky float and or needle valve.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:12 PM
FXDKEV
Novice

I took the carb apart, and cleaned it with a can of carb cleaner spray. I took out the jets and everything, but I didn't remove the float needle. I just sprayed underneath the float. Maybe I'll remove it again and actually take that out this time... What would be causing the backfiring when I try to start it? My thought was that maybe it was flooding and the unburned fuel was exiting through the exhaust causing the backfire. I could be totally wrong, though.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,282 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Checking the charging system, the bike electrics run off the battery not the charging system. The charging system keeps the battery "charged".

Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master

If you feel the carb is well cleaned have you checked for a good spark? Could be a coil or ignition timing problem. If timing/ignition is not working you can get backfiring in the exhaust or carb. You only need fuel, air and spark so if you can eliminate these then you should be able to isolate were the problem is. When you changed the plugs how did they look? Were they black and sooty which would indicate a rich mixture, white which would indicate a lean mixture or a tan color which should be normal for a carbed bike.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 PM
FXDKEV
Novice

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Checking the charging system, the bike electrics run off the battery not the charging system. The charging system keeps the battery "charged".
I had to charge the battery because I killed it trying to start it repeatedly on the side of the freeway.

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
When you changed the plugs how did they look? Were they black and sooty which would indicate a rich mixture, white which would indicate a lean mixture or a tan color which should be normal for a carbed bike.

Now, this might be a dumb question, but when does the fuel pump actually pump fuel? I had a Sporty and it didn't have a fuel pump, so I'm not familiar with how it works. With the valve open, I turned the power on and switched to "RUN", but no fuel came out of the pet.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:10 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master

If the bike has a carb it does not have a fuel pump, only the FI bikes have a pump. If you disconnect the fuel line and open the petcock you should get fuel when it is in the On position as well as the Reserve position. If no fuel comes out the filter or screen on the petcock is clogged or the petcock is broken and will need to be replaced. As far as the plugs, they look pretty good. I would guess that the plug on the right is from the rear cylinder as that usually burns a little leaner than the front cylinder.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

The petcock has a vacuum port, no fuel is going to come out unless you add an external vacuum source.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Galaxie500fb
Advanced

You said no fuel is coming out of the petcock when you switch the ignition to run. Did you undo the fuel line at the petcock? If so you could possibly have a plugged screen attached to the fuel supply. You can remove the air cleaner cover and twist the throttle and should see a spray of fuel going into the carb.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM
FXDKEV
Novice

Originally Posted by bobnehoc
If the bike has a carb it does not have a fuel pump, only the FI bikes have a pump. If you disconnect the fuel line and open the petcock you should get fuel when it is in the On position as well as the Reserve position. If no fuel comes out the filter or screen on the petcock is clogged or the petcock is broken and will need to be replaced. As far as the plugs, they look pretty good. I would guess that the plug on the right is from the rear cylinder as that usually burns a little leaner than the front cylinder.
No fuel came out when I disconnected the fuel line and opened the petcock. Later on, before I connected the fuel line back to the carb, I tried starting the bike and gas came pouring out of the fuel line again. Not sure what that meant... I'm starting to think this may be related to whatever components are in the gas tank, since it has been pretty inconsistent with the flow from the pet. You are right about the spark plugs, though.

Originally Posted by Architect
The petcock has a vacuum port, no fuel is going to come out unless you add an external vacuum source.
The only time I've been able to see the fuel flow from the pet is when I tried to start the bike, and even that didnt happen every time.

Originally Posted by Galaxie500fb
You said no fuel is coming out of the petcock when you switch the ignition to run. Did you undo the fuel line at the petcock? If so you could possibly have a plugged screen attached to the fuel supply. You can remove the air cleaner cover and twist the throttle and should see a spray of fuel going into the carb.
I do get gas to the carb, but maybe it's just spraying whatever is left in the carb from whenever the tank decided to give it fuel. I will check the tank components today after work.

Quick Reply: '96 Dyna Won't Start! Need help!