Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ricor Intimidators

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ricor Intimidators

I've been doing some reading now that I'm looking at improving the front end of my '11 FXDF. From what I've read the Ricor Intimidators are a pretty solid upgrade even without changing the stock springs. Anyone able to confirm or deny that? And if you know a thing or two did you stick with the recommended 5 wt oil or go another route? The other option I'm thinking about is going with Race Tech, or maybe the Ricors with RT Hi Performance springs. Or maybe Race Tech Emulator AND springs. Clearly I have mod ADD so someone help me out. Thanks!

clown

Old 07-02-2014, 02:25 AM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser

And after reading the name hundreds of times it just now occurred to me they're called Intiminators, not Intimidators. Wow I'm a dumbass sometimes lol

Old 07-02-2014, 02:27 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I have read that they work best with straight springs, non progressive type and 5wt oil.

However, would now consider the progressive monotube inserts that do away with the spring and use less oil.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:46 AM
ruffdogg22
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run them with stock springs and 10wt amsoil, speed merchant preload adjusters on my FXDB. Its a great improvement over stock. Would like to upgrade to some traxxion springs in the future, but for now im really happy with the ride. Also ran them on my sporty with stock springs and it was 1000x better than stock.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser

Okay thanks, guys. I'm replacing the fork seals in a few days so maybe I'll just hold off and get the Ricors and do it all at once.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:31 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Progressive Monotube......

Originally Posted by DonN
I have read that they work best with straight springs, non progressive type and 5wt oil.

However, would now consider the progressive monotube inserts that do away with the spring and use less oil.
Progressive does not have a monotube for the FXDF yet, they are still working on refinement issue's.
Easier to say they do not work on the Fatbob for some undisclosed reason.

But they do have them for the Streetbob and Wideglide..........

Live Free = Ride Free............

Old 07-02-2014, 01:00 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ricor Intiminators...........

Originally Posted by Clown Shoes
Okay thanks, guys. I'm replacing the fork seals in a few days so maybe I'll just hold off and get the Ricors and do it all at once.
I have a 2013 FXDF, and am running the Intiminators, Progressive's standard front fork spring's, 10w Belray fork oil and RSD pre-load adjuster's.

They work much better than the stock set up, pre-load adjuster's I would say are a must unless you do not mind the dis - assembly procees until you find your sweet spot for pre-load.

With the progressive fork springs I think the 10w may be to heavy for standard street riding, but for freeway 65+mph it works pretty darn good.
Just a little harsh on the street, may try the 5w fork oil and see if that improve's the overall performance.

The set up I am running has definitely taken care of the bottoming out issue's I was having with the stock front fork's and has drastically improved brake dive for sure.

I have been running this set up for about 3 - 4 month's now and am very happy with the result's, but still think they need a little more tweaking to get them perfect.

It seem's to me that the FXDF model front end is a little different than the FXDWG or the Streetbob, and in fact need's to be played with a little more to find the perfect setting's. We will call it a work in progress......but it is working..........

If I were you, I would use the Intiminator's with you stock spring's first see what the difference is there from stock set up and then move to a better fork spring. Only speaking from my experience.......

I really do not think that comparing the Fatbob to the wideglide or steetbob with these mod's is justified, they are just not the same.

Good luck moving forward with your front end mod's, take your time, take good note's, and make small adjustment's.

Live Free = Ride Free............

Old 07-02-2014, 05:49 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a 1 year long thread about the intimidators, traxxion straight rate springs and amzoil 10w shock therapy fork oil. If you actually read through the whole thread you can pretty much figure out what weight spring you need and get real close to the right sag your first time. From experience, I would go with one step lighter spring then what the race tech calculator spring calls for (even though traxxion is the only one that makes straight rate springs for the 49mm. forks)

I ended taking mine apart 4 times before I got it perfect...I kept pushing to get it right on and now it's there forever. If you going to do suspension upgrades, you have to be willing to put the effort in fine tuning it or it's kind of a waste of money.

My bike feels like it's 200 pounds lighter just because of the way it handles. I have just over 300 bucks in the front end and think it's money well spent.

Last edited by rooti; 07-02-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser

Thanks again for the detailed input, fellas. Sounds like a good way to go is slowly but surely and continue to adjust as I go along until I get it right where I want it. I think I'll start with the Intiminators and change the springs later on. Thankfully there's a terrible stretch of road nearby where I can test out everything from the rattles to cattle guards and potholes.
I'll update as I go along in case someone else is looking at the same thing.

clown.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just the intimidators alone will be a huge improvement. Make sure you set up the proper sag for your weight. Measure the sag before you take it apart. That way you will know how much you have to cut the spacer. You do want to cut the thickness of the intimidator if your sag is already correct now. Don't forget to change to amzoil 10w fork oil

Quick Reply: Ricor Intimidators