Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar changing--advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 AM
jmerchant.1
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Handlebar changing--advice needed

Is it hard to change out the handlebars on a harley with internal wiring? I have a '13 dyna street bob and am switching to a slightly different style bar, same height. Anybody have any advice or tips for dealing with disconnecting the internal wires (preferably without cutting anything)? Some detailed instructions and/or pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 07-02-2014, 09:04 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

#1. Get a service manual... it explains how to unpopulate wiring connectors, and if you're doing internal wiring, you'll have to do that.

There are also going to be a crap load of threads on the site here, that go into this... do a little searching to find them.

Other than that: depends on if the bars you're going to are taller/wider, that will need longer wiring. Some 'kits' are available. When I did mine, I added 8" to the wiring, splicing it myself. If you're gonna add wiring, offset the splicing by 1/2" from wire to wire: that way you won't have a big bundle of splices all at the same spot, creating a big 'lump' in your wiring.

Don't be in a hurry. Take pictures and make drawings of your connectors and what color wire goes to which pin.

Do a couple of searches... there's loads of tips and tricks on this site for ya.

The following users liked this post:
UglyMoFo (08-07-2017)
Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

I just changed one of my bikes out to a longer set of bars. There is no way around cutting the wiring if the it is internal. I used this guy on youtude. He has a lot of very good instructional videos that helped me through it. Here is just one.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
malomj07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
#1. Get a service manual... it explains how to unpopulate wiring connectors, and if you're doing internal wiring, you'll have to do that.
Originally Posted by Machiavelli
There is no way around cutting the wiring if the it is internal.
You certainly do not have to cut your wires. It is a very simple task to pull the wires from the connectors. The manual outlines it well and there are tons of YouTube videos on how to do it. Harley makes their own tool for it, but many of us have luck with paperclips straightened out.

My method for getting the wires back through is to run a string through the new bars, use the string to pull mechanic's wire through, then use the wire to pull the harness through. If you're going to be a DIYer with your bike, learning how to pull apart and rebuild connectors is a very useful skill to have. Take your time, search the forum, use YouTube, and take a lot of notes with pictures.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:48 AM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default bar swap

[QUOTE=jmerchant.1;12936552]Is it hard to change out the handlebars on a harley with internal wiring? I have a '13 dyna street bob and am switching to a slightly different style bar, same height. Anybody have any advice or tips for dealing with disconnecting the internal wires (preferably without cutting anything)? Some detailed instructions and/or pictures would be awesome. Thanks in advance for any suggestions![/QUOT

to extend wires on newer models use NAMZ extension(you will not need them though). You wont need to remove the connectors from wiring on 2012 and up dynas, as long as you use at least 1 inch bars they slide right threw.

simple task should take under a 2 hours easy on a 13 model.

take off brake side perch/ throttle tube let hang

take of clutch side perch/ lever and let hang

pull rubber plugs from the neck of bike

pull plastic cap under neck above front rocker box out(you will find it)

pull wires out of neck of frame (1 connections left side 2 connection
right side, you may need to reach up under neck above rocker box and move things around a bit)

remove bars from clamp, pull wires and control housing off old bars

run new wires into new bars, you may not need a string or you may depending on the bend of bar you got...sometimes you can feed them threw.

put everything back together, the same way you took it apart....dont over think it, just start taking things apart youll figure it out.

be sure to put right side control on right side of new bar, its a bitch when you mix em up.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by malomj07
You certainly do not have to cut your wires. It is a very simple task to pull the wires from the connectors. The manual outlines it well and there are tons of YouTube videos on how to do it. Harley makes their own tool for it, but many of us have luck with paperclips straightened out.

My method for getting the wires back through is to run a string through the new bars, use the string to pull mechanic's wire through, then use the wire to pull the harness through. If you're going to be a DIYer with your bike, learning how to pull apart and rebuild connectors is a very useful skill to have. Take your time, search the forum, use YouTube, and take a lot of notes with pictures.
Okay, I mispoke. You will need to REMOVE the connectors from wires.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:39 AM
FXDKEV
Novice

Going to bars that are of similar size is easy. You don't have to worry about clutch, throttle, idle, and brake cables. For internal wiring, unfortunately, you will have to disconnect the wires in some way. I would just cut and splice the wires back up. You may not have to extend the wires at all, unless the new bars have a similar shape to that of a crazy straw. If you don't have much experience with type of work, I'd give myself an hour to a couple hours to do this. Someone that's done it before will probably only take fifteen minutes or so.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:53 AM
mikeg212001
Tourer

On the '12 and up dynas running the canbus system, they have smaller connectors. No need to de-pin, or remove wires from the connectors. They will slide right through the bars. It makes the job a lot easier! As stated before if the bars are the same diameter, you will be good to go, without having to take connectors apart. Just unplug them, down by the neck, pull em through the old bars, and feed em through the new ones! Simple job.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:16 PM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the new bars don't have 90 degree bends in it you won't have a very hard time. Mine sucked getting the wires through the elbows.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:36 PM
jmerchant.1
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys for all the info, it was very helpful. I will take all into consideration when I give it a go in the next day or two! Anything else I may need to know feel free to share. Thanks again!!

Last edited by jmerchant.1; 07-02-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Handlebar changing--advice needed