Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno tune?

Old 07-04-2014, 05:01 AM
hog120
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno tune?

Is it necessary to do a dyno tune on a 14' low rider, being that it is EFI and not carbureted, if you just add a breather and no other modifications? Would the screaming eagle k&n breather fit the low rider without getting in the way of your riding position? I'm looking at the the one on this link: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...18-29400173--1 Would that fit the 103"? What breathers are you guys using on your new dyna?

Last edited by hog120; 07-04-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:55 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

If you just add the breather, then no, you shouldn't need to retune or dyno the bike. If you also change the exhaust for a more free flowing system, then you will need to retune the bike.

That breather should actually improve the riding position as the stock "football" air cleaner tends to get in the way for some people (like me). Fitting that type of breather actually gives increased leg room.

You should seriously consider DK Customs Outlaw 636v air cleaner before you drop the cash on the HD part though:

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Outl...AC-636V-TC.htm

Old 07-04-2014, 06:00 AM
hog120
Advanced

Thanks, I'll look into that one. The screaming eagle k&n looks like it might only fit the 110" motor, as the throttle body on the 110" is probably different than the one on the 103" Does anyone know if it'll fit the 103"? Sorry for the noobie questions.

Last edited by hog120; 07-04-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:03 AM
hog120
Advanced

In case anyone reading this is thinking of doing this, I just noticed on Harleys website listed under the screaming eagle breather, it says that, "All EFI-equipped models require ECM calibration. Recalibration is required for proper installation." So in order to upgrade the breather alone, you would need to do a retune.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hog120
In case anyone reading this is thinking of doing this, I just noticed on Harleys website listed under the screaming eagle breather, it says that, "All EFI-equipped models require ECM calibration. Recalibration is required for proper installation." So in order to upgrade the breather alone, you would need to do a retune.
Nah. That's just HD trying to sell you stuff. It'll be fine without. If you really want to make things just good enough then fit some Xieds.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:30 AM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your just making an already lean running bike run even leaner due to more incoming air flow. might as well get a tunner anyways to help richen up the mixture to help it run a little cooler too. and that way you will already have a tuner when you put an exhaust on it cuz it wont stay stock for long.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:22 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdc rider
your just making an already lean running bike run even leaner due to more incoming air flow. might as well get a tunner anyways to help richen up the mixture to help it run a little cooler too. and that way you will already have a tuner when you put an exhaust on it cuz it wont stay stock for long.
Well, that's the thing. Might as well do the intake, pipes and tuner all at the same time.

However - not sure I agree with whether or not adding a better air filter will make the bike run leaner - as there is still a bottle neck with the stock exhaust. It physically can't flow any more air than the exhaust can...well, exhaust.

Still. I do agree it's worth getting a tuner. The way I did mine was: slip ons, then tuner, then hi flow filter, then 2:1 exhaust.

The tuner (Power Vision) has been the thing that held it all together during the changes as I could tweak it every time. Fuel Moto custom map support has been excellent.

The bike runs fantastically now, but now I have the Stage 1 complete, I will still get it dyno'ed just for my own satisfaction.

I'll do cams, throttle body and head porting over the winter, and then dyno it again. Messing with these bikes is fun.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:41 PM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you change to a more free flowing filter only then it should not matter. But a stage 1 filter and box, well that may matter. How much...

I did slip Python Mamba slip ons (eliminating the stock cross over tube), and heard a backfire once and a while.
Then I did Mean Mother Drag pipes, and heard a bit more backfiring.
Then I did the Stage 1 air intake and heard too much backfiring for my tastes. I got the Screamin Eagle SuperTuner and did some smart tune runs. Now the bike runs without backfiring, and performs alot better. The throttle response is great now and the engine runs cooler as far as I am concerned.
I don't BELIEVE with EFI and O2 sensors the bike would ever run in a manner that would damge the engine, when doing only external modifications.