Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting Bothering my Ears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Costnsg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind Buffeting Bothering my Ears?

I've noticed if I ride more than about 50 miles my ears start to bother me a bit. It feels like the air pressure is fluctuating slightly inside my helmet. Now on longer trips I'm actually putting in earplugs and that does help. I believe this is not about engine noise, but suspect it's wind buffeting that is bothering me. Higher speed and gusty crosswinds seem to make it worse. I prefer to ride without the earplugs as I find it more comfortable for the short rides and I like hearing the engine and other sounds more clearly (might even be a safety concern).

So, anyone else have this problem? Got any ideas about how to best address it? Do the "hot wings or booster wings" as marketed by Memphis shades offer a possible solution?

My current equipment looks like this:

2007 Wide Glide with Stage 1 upgrade, Rush slip-ons with 2" baffles
Harley detachable windshield with line of sight just over the windshield for normal riding
Shoei RF1000 full face helmet which I like very much for fit and comfort

I appreciate any feedback you may have to offer. A quick search of the forum didn't bring up much that seems to help.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:41 PM
gdtrfb619
Stage IV

I know a former moto cop, who commented to me in conversation that he can't hear **** because of the constant buffeting while he was on patrol. He now rides with a set of custom ear plugs...? I experience the same and have seriously considered something of that nature-

Old 07-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Thor183
Advanced

Sounds like you are doing everything possible. Full face helmet, ear plugs, and windshield. Some helmets slice through the wind better then others, windshields at the wrong height can cause extra wind buffeting too. You may want to find someone very knowledgeable to assess you on your bike to see what can be approved. If that doesn't work get yourself an ultra limited. Good luck!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you have really good ear plugs and wear them all the time whether you like them or not. Noise damages hearing and it doesn't take long. As a pro in the medical hearing business about people they have seen who are motorcyclists, I will wager every one will tell you about the high percentage of tinnitus and hearing loss they see.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wear ear plugs can't stand the wind pounding on my ears.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:35 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer

It's a natural phenomenon that happens with full face helmets. There's negative pressure inside the helmet and positive pressure from the air moving past the helmet and your ears sense it just like on an airplane.

Pop your ears and ride on. I experience the exact same thing as I wear a full face helmet and sometimes have 9,000' altitude differentials on mountain rides. Once I feel that way, I "pop" them and all is good. You can regularly "pop" your ears so it doesn't surprise you.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

HUH? what ya say?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:44 PM
sigmoid
Cruiser

I used to have the same trouble, tried various solutions including changing windshield angle, a touring wind dam. I put a set of clear lowers that attach to the forks, I think from National Cycle, and the buffeting pretty much went away. It doesn't look bad either because they are clear and not very large. I've ridden with earplugs for years now to save what's left of my hearing after decades of shooting and riding without proper ear protection. I have found that all but the best full face racing helmets are ironically noisier than an open face or dixie cup helmet when riding a bike with a big windshield, don't know why, maybe wind coming up under the chin piece. That's what the lowers will prevent. They aren't that expensive so worth a try, worked for me.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:31 AM
Costnsg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Thor183
... If that doesn't work get yourself an ultra limited. Good luck!
You know what, I was thinking a Road Glide would fit in the garage next to the wide glide. This would not be popular with the other half, however.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Costnsg
Advanced

Originally Posted by sigmoid
I used to have the same trouble, tried various solutions including changing windshield angle, a touring wind dam. I put a set of clear lowers that attach to the forks, I think from National Cycle, and the buffeting pretty much went away. It doesn't look bad either because they are clear and not very large. I've ridden with earplugs for years now to save what's left of my hearing after decades of shooting and riding without proper ear protection. I have found that all but the best full face racing helmets are ironically noisier than an open face or dixie cup helmet when riding a bike with a big windshield, don't know why, maybe wind coming up under the chin piece. That's what the lowers will prevent. They aren't that expensive so worth a try, worked for me.
Thank you for the advice. It might take some rigging to fit the lowers off the forks with my detachable windshield occupying the same space, but I'll look into it.

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting Bothering my Ears?