Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp or head temp

Old 07-05-2014, 08:29 AM
sisson16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil temp or head temp

Oil temp or head temp which should be checked or just screw it and ride?

Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

HD doesn't supply you with instruments for that. You can buy a temp gunbut are you going to carry a multi hundred $ tool with you in your pocket for the hell of it? Or an oil temp / guage for 150$ do you think it is worth having for a daily rider. Well I don't so I go without. as long as your in the wind that engine will not overheat to the point of breakdown.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:49 AM
sisson16
Cruiser

My dakota digital has a head temp readout is why I'm asking. This is my first harley first air cooled bike coming from sport bikes so just getting some info on it. I picked this bike up end of last summer so just want to be prepared and know ahead of time what to expect for this summer. But yes harley does offer oil temp readout products though

Old 07-05-2014, 10:48 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sisson16
My dakota digital has a head temp readout is why I'm asking. This is my first harley first air cooled bike coming from sport bikes so just getting some info on it. I picked this bike up end of last summer so just want to be prepared and know ahead of time what to expect for this summer. But yes harley does offer oil temp readout products though
but you need to buy them, my point being if they were required HD would need to supply them.

I don't mean to come off full attitude, but to answere your original question " just screw it and ride" unless your going to race with it and if your in traffic too long you may have to pull over and let it cool.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:05 AM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If CHT is not excessive, oil temp will be fine. At least that's how I see it. Mine gets to 300F, I start to get concerned (rightfully or not) and either get moving or shut it down for a few.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:58 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't like the guessing game, head temp does not reflect actual oil temp. I have installed a gauge, read my post here.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:21 PM
sisson16
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 128auto
I don't like the guessing game, head temp does not reflect actual oil temp. I have installed a gauge, read my post here. Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWjLAR--9qM
I saw that before while doing some searching i just cant bring myself to throw a gauge on my bars like that. Id like a rocker box mounted one like all the pressure gauges they sell

Old 07-05-2014, 12:46 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Well, I have not seen one like that in the market unless you make your own. Btw it is much harder to look down there imao.

Originally Posted by sisson16
I saw that before while doing some searching i just cant bring myself to throw a gauge on my bars like that. Id like a rocker box mounted one like all the pressure gauges they sell

Old 07-05-2014, 12:56 PM
sisson16
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 128auto
Well, I have not seen one like that in the market unless you make your own. Btw it is much harder to look down there imao.
I posted a link of one...
For what im doing i dont need constant monitoring. I would just like to know while stuck in traffic or when I've been on the bike for awhile, so a quick check is fine by me. On the inside of my right thigh isnt hard to look at in my opinion

Old 07-05-2014, 01:09 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

The harley digital temp dipstick is the only option I am afraid. Then it is even harder to see
Good luck finding

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil temp or head temp