Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered new FXDX shocks, $569

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:04 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Ordered new FXDX shocks, $569

Ouch! $569 from Latus Harley Davidson online but what you gonna do if yours wear out and start leaking. I know there are some pricey alternatives but the old ones worked perfectly, at least until they started leaking and the springs got weak. I am assuming they are still available through backorder for the website took the order. They are $281 each for 54633-00 and 54634-00. I will let everyone know when and if i get them. Since 2005 was the last year for FXDX they may not be available much longer. The old shocks went about 70,000 miles best i can figure.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are just stock pogo sticks, right?

No adjustable rebound or damping?

If so you would think there are plenty of stockers out there with little to no miles.

Wouldn't a newer model shock work also?

EDIT
These are adjustables right? I thought only FXDXTs had them but running the part # looks like FXDXs too...probably a better shock than a comparably priced aftermarket shock then.

Last edited by Mascman; 07-05-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:30 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are " adjustable " to an extent. Some like them some don't. IMO it all depends on rider/passenger weight ,and riding style. Those two factors vary as much as "opinions".

Old 07-05-2014, 04:32 PM
truckerdave

Yes, harley got the FXDX suspension right the first time. It's hard to improve on the stock pieces.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:15 PM
KevH
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For that money you could get a brand new set of Works Trackers that are just as good (if not better) and rebuild-able.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,226 Likes on 3,609 Posts

I've got 50K on my FXDX and am looking at the Works Trackers.. Took 50K for them to start leaking.. Good shocks but trackers should a little better..

Old 07-06-2014, 07:39 PM
sisson16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some JRIs from Howard for slightly less than that..of course i got one of the few pairs that were half off. Id send em back and get something else. A lot can be had for that price

Old 07-06-2014, 09:24 PM
truckerdave

Well yeah i know i could get aftermarket shocks but the thing is the stock shocks worked perfectly for any kind of riding i wanted to do. Several people have commented from riding beside me that the suspension of the bike is moving up and down but i am not moving. Buying aftermarket would be like trying to fix something that ain't broke. I looked long and hard at the 3 way adjustable gas charged shocks on my XR1200 since they are about the same length. They would fit but the spring rates might be off. Unfortunately they are about the same price or higher than stock FXDX shocks.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:54 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

Put many miles on my FXDXT; tried a pair of 418 Progressives for a while, wanted a bit lower and 2 up capable...they were too stiff solo. Most other aftermarket shocks do not offer adjustable rebound dampening...one of the many keys to decent handling; but you have to experience it to understand...and the remote thingies don't work well with the bags

Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 AM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Yes, harley got the FXDX suspension right the first time. It's hard to improve on the stock pieces.
+1 on the stock 2000+ FXDX shocks.
I've had several different Progressive shocks and different springs for them with my own spring compressor. None came close to the FXDX shocks.

Originally Posted by bwoltz
I've got 50K on my FXDX and am looking at the Works Trackers.. Took 50K for them to start leaking.. Good shocks but trackers should a little better..
Let us know how they work out for ya.

Quick Reply: Ordered new FXDX shocks, $569