Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me diagnose this sound coming from my primary

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Help me diagnose this sound coming from my primary

'13 FXDF, 7K miles: I have a low-frequency whine that correlates to vehicle speed(not engine speed) and is most noticeable when clutch is in and coasting to a stop. It sounds like wo-wo-wo-wo all the way down to full stop. It's harder to hear over the other engine and exhaust noises but it is there on acceleration as well, but it is much louder and lower speed. This is a new sound that started a few weeks ago and has since gotten louder and louder. It is worse when the engine is hot. This is also a few months after having the entire primary removed to install the Andrews 30t pulley and a Hayden M6 tensioner. If I'm gonna have to take it all apart again to replace a tranny bearing at 7K I'm gonna be ****in pissed!

Last edited by Red Dragons; 07-05-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I wouldn't worry too much either way. It's still under factory warranty.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dynam1te
Well, I wouldn't worry too much either way. It's still under factory warranty.
Yeah, well if it turns out to be a bearing then they can easily say that my modifications could have caused it. And they could be right.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

There was a long thread over on the HTT Forum about the Hayden and how it keeps the primary chain too tight and for the OP it was causing a noise while riding and a "clunk" on shut down. He ended up pulling it out and installing the Baker manual tensioner and all the bad symptoms went away.

I am running the Hayden too and have my primary open right now. The primary chain is pretty fricken tight and I am sooo close to ordering the Baker myself.

The other possibility would be the compensator, but it correlates to engine speed.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think I read something about a few having compensator problems.
However, it sounds to frequent for that.
The other thing is (I'm agreeing) is the chain.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:28 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
Yeah, well if it turns out to be a bearing then they can easily say that my modifications could have caused it. And they could be right.
same goes for the tensioner when you thnk about it. Dude at 57 K miles I still have the OEM primary chain tensioner in my bike.

Some things are best left alone until defective IMO

or " if it ain't broke fix it till it is"! - ha ha joke

Check if your drive belt lines up perfectly straight from rear wheel to pully.

Otherwise you will haave to have your outer primar off to check your other components.

On the bright side... that steel gasket and the bolts, heck even your oil can be re-used.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:07 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The stealer will try and pin the trouble on the work that was preformed.
Sucks.
I thought I had primary trouble last year and it was just a cracked exhaust behind the shield.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:59 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stilup
The stealer will try and pin the trouble on the work that was preformed.
Sucks.
I thought I had primary trouble last year and it was just a cracked exhaust behind the shield.
Depends on the Dealer.

I don't understand why someone would turn away money.

If the Dealer turns away a 'warranty' problem, the bike owner is gonna be pissed and use anybody BUT the Dealer to fix it. And for everything else in the future.

If the Dealer ignores that the owner opened her up, then fixes the problem..... He bills the MoCo for the parts and labor and earns a customer for life.

Whatever. Just my $.02

Old 07-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
There was a long thread over on the HTT Forum about the Hayden and how it keeps the primary chain too tight and for the OP it was causing a noise while riding and a "clunk" on shut down. He ended up pulling it out and installing the Baker manual tensioner and all the bad symptoms went away.

I am running the Hayden too and have my primary open right now. The primary chain is pretty fricken tight and I am sooo close to ordering the Baker myself.

The other possibility would be the compensator, but it correlates to engine speed.
Yeah, so far I've been very displeased with the Hayden. First, with our newer bikes coming with the SE compensator, which Hayden clearly didn't' plan for, it IS way too tight i think. I first installed with only the outer spring as directed by Hayden, until it broke in the shoe some. Had all sorts of noises, including a knocking when shutting down. I'm sure it was the shoe bottoming out or the chain hitting somewhere inside the case. So then I installed both springs(and had a hell of a time getting the damn thing installed cuz it was so tight) and since then the chain whine on the shoe has been incredibly loud. They say it is supposed to go away after a few hundred miles but it has been about 600 now. And now I'm getting this new whine. I'm gonna go back to stock tensioner and see if that fixes it, and if it does I'll probably get the Baker. Pisses me off though cuz I bought a Hayden for my wide glide as well, though I haven't installed it yet, and now I probably won't.

But surely 600 miles of a chain being a little too tight shouldn't have damaged the bearings, right? I'm more worried that this is related to my pulley install, which would require removing the inner primary and even then I might not be able to tell what is causing it.

Last edited by Red Dragons; 07-06-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:09 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should change the IPB anytime you remove the primary

Last edited by SuperFastGlide; 07-06-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Help me diagnose this sound coming from my primary