Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying stock ratcheting primary tensioner?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Modifying stock ratcheting primary tensioner?

I've been unhappy with the Hayden tensioner in my '13 FXDF and am about to go back to the stock one and I just had a thought about modifying it to keep it from adjusting itself too tight. What if you removed the spring and set the tension like a manual adjuster? Without the spring it won't tighten automatically. Just a thought. I haven't played with it to see if it will actually work yet.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Why do you not like the Hayden?

Old 07-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pistonman1
Where to begin...

First off, I think on bikes like mine that come stock with the SE compensator, the Hayden keeps the chain WAY too tight. I've spoken with others here who agree. Then there's the primary noise...they say it's supposed to quiet down after a few hundred miles, but it's been about 600 for me and the chain is very loud and obnoxious riding on that shoe, probably because it's too tight. In addition, I've had knocking sounds at shut down, and most importantly, I haven't seen any of the benefits they tout. It doesn't shift any quieter or smoother. It's bad when I can hear the primary over the exhaust. Also, I've recently developed a new whine from the primary that may or may not be related to the Hayden, but regardless I'm going back to the stock tensioner to see if all of these issues resolve.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistonman1
I would like to know that too. I was thinking of getting the Hayden.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

That's what the OP of this thread did. It's something I've been thinking about myself.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...xperiment.html

Old 07-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
That's what the OP of this thread did. It's something I've been thinking about myself.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...xperiment.html
Interesting thread. Not so sure why you would need to weld it. Once you get it tight on the ratchet, it shouldnt be able to back off, even without the spring.

Did read lots of posts in that thread about how others removed their Haydens for the exact same reasons I am.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Strobe
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried the Hayden also with the 2014 compensator. I can't tell you if the comps are the issue. For some the new Haydens work fine, or so they say. I pulled the primary cover off multiple times with the hayden installed. The primary chain was scary tight. Plus the noises I was getting the hayden came out. After a couple thousand miles it had it's chance to shine.

I went back to the stock tensioner. I've pulled the cover twice with the stock adjuster to check on the chain tension. I had enough play in the chain to be comfortable without any further modifications.

Maybe it's the fact I have 40,000 miles on the original tensioner. It's worn in !

Old 07-06-2014, 08:12 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys are worring about a non issue. there is nothing wrong with the stock one. it only rachets tighter when needed.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Strobe
I tried the Hayden also with the 2014 compensator. I can't tell you if the comps are the issue. For some the new Haydens work fine, or so they say. I pulled the primary cover off multiple times with the hayden installed. The primary chain was scary tight. Plus the noises I was getting the hayden came out. After a couple thousand miles it had it's chance to shine.

I went back to the stock tensioner. I've pulled the cover twice with the stock adjuster to check on the chain tension. I had enough play in the chain to be comfortable without any further modifications.

Maybe it's the fact I have 40,000 miles on the original tensioner. It's worn in !
Its funny, I originally got the Hayden because I read so many threads about how the stock tensioner was going to destroy all the bearings in my primary and blow up my bike. And ever since I installed the Hayden I've read nothing but people saying how they have 20,30,40+ K miles on the stock tensioner with no issues. I think my problem is I'm always trying to be proactive. That and there are a lot of people on here who are full of ****.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by fxdc rider
you guys are worring about a non issue. there is nothing wrong with the stock one. it only rachets tighter when needed.
Where were you 6 months ago?!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Modifying stock ratcheting primary tensioner?