Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Comp Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:16 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default SE Comp Sprocket

Here we go,
Last year I bought a SE comp sprock to replace my oem one thinking it was a better unit, and at that time everyone on site here agreed it was. That unit became the stock sprocket for '11 + bikes. Now i'm reading about failure of said sprockets for lack of lube and the updated version is practically the same except they send you a plastic oil deflector to bathe the sprocket with oil as you ride.

The question in my mind is should they not supply these parts to owners with the previous version or put out a call back order on them? After all they have sold plenty of 11,12 and 13 bikes with the inferior units.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Been there, done that. They did at least give me 10% off and that's without a receipt. The "new" also has a needle bearing thrust washer and oil passage holes in it. Only time will tell if it's any better. Pretty sad of HD to let the consumer suffer due to their lack of caring. I mean really they didn't know it wouldn't get enough oil and it takes them years to "maybe" fix it with an oil deflector. BS.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Oil reflectors glued on sound like another part to fall off, that's why I went BDL route. I have backordered a BDL compensator, keep you guys posted.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

I'll be looking for your reports on the BDL. I put in the SE comp back in 2011, then read about the problems with them. While I haven't had any issues I would rather get it out, and I don't have much confidence HD can come up with a decent comp design. I guess I could go back to my stock 07 comp if I had to, it's sitting on a shelf somewhere around here.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey maddghost, if you want to get more oil on your compensator install the CompenSaver tray that GMR sells. It is designed to work with the 2014 compensator but I asked one of the designers - Ron if it would help my 2012 version and he said yes although the outboard part of the compensator would still be lacking oil - that is where that glue in HD tray hits.

I am thinking about putting it in myself but it will not work if you have the Baker manual primary chain adjuster in which I am also thinking about.....decisions, decisions.

Last edited by HD Pilot; 07-07-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:43 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Pilot
Hey maddghost, if you want to get more oil on your compensator install the CompenSaver tray that GMR sells. It is designed to work with the 2014 compensator but I asked one of the designers - Ron if it would help my 2012 version and he said yes although the outboard part of the compensator would still be lacking oil - that is where that glue in HD tray hits.

I am thinking about putting it in myself but it will not work if you have the Baker manual primary chain adjuster in which I am also thinking about.....decisions, decisions.
Question is pilot, when will HD step up and admit their own damn failings?

Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a review, read in.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=938462

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
I'll be looking for your reports on the BDL. I put in the SE comp back in 2011, then read about the problems with them. While I haven't had any issues I would rather get it out, and I don't have much confidence HD can come up with a decent comp design. I guess I could go back to my stock 07 comp if I had to, it's sitting on a shelf somewhere around here.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:57 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a '12 EGC that had the compensator replaced in march of '13...would that model have the plastic deflector?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:57 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by DJY
Been there, done that. They did at least give me 10% off and that's without a receipt. The "new" also has a needle bearing thrust washer and oil passage holes in it. Only time will tell if it's any better. Pretty sad of HD to let the consumer suffer due to their lack of caring. I mean really they didn't know it wouldn't get enough oil and it takes them years to "maybe" fix it with an oil deflector. BS.
Correct, that's the one I have w/ the platic tray and new passages/bearing. So far so good. I hope it lasts....haven't hear to many things going bad with the new design compared to the older style.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

'09 here with the 2014 Compensator and new primary cover. .it has a cast in tray. Only ~1600 miles but so far so good. I think over on HTT some people have 30k miles no problems. One of the tech's said he hasn't seen one go bad yet from a 2014 bike.

Quick Reply: SE Comp Sprocket