Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Tuner Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:20 PM
HDJeff14
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Tuner Needed?

I have a 2010 fatbob with rush slip ons and the screamin eagle big air breather. The dealer did the initial flash that they do when you first switch out your pipes but my question is, is it still necessary to go with a tuner like the SERT if all you have had done to the bike is the pipes and air breather? or is the initial flash the dealer did all that's necessary. I've been hearing different things and just want to know before I spend a bunch of money. If it won't hurt the bike by sticking with just the initial flash, then that's what I'm going to do but if it's going to be running to lean, then I've heard that it could damage the engine. Thanks for any info.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJeff14
I have a 2010 fatbob with rush slip ons and the screamin eagle big air breather. The dealer did the initial flash that they do when you first switch out your pipes but my question is, is it still necessary to go with a tuner like the SERT if all you have had done to the bike is the pipes and air breather? or is the initial flash the dealer did all that's necessary. I've been hearing different things and just want to know before I spend a bunch of money. If it won't hurt the bike by sticking with just the initial flash, then that's what I'm going to do but if it's going to be running to lean, then I've heard that it could damage the engine. Thanks for any info.
Just to let you know I'm not new to the game, I bought my first Harley in 1977.

I have the Dealer Download, aftermarket pipes and a Stage I Air Cleaner.

You have the bigger AC.

So I would ask some people who are running the same or similar setup.

Mine runs fine. Pops a little bit, but I could not care less about that. Kinda like it.

Everybody's different.

When you buy a Harley, you have a Blank Canvass and you are the Artist.

Have fun.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:45 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They dealer download should be fine for what you have done. But here is the fly in the ointment so to speak with a real tuner such as TTS , Sert or my favorite the power vision you be able to find more useable power in that motor because you be able to manipulate things that may make more power but not meet epa requirements that the factory download is bound too.

In the end it up to you. Keep the download and enjoy what you have (it's safe) Or do a custom tune and get what you really paid for out that motor. (fun)

Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

dealer DL is junk, waste of money, you mod the ac and exhaust you will need a tuner, HD factory tunes their bikes lean... get a off the shelf tuner and canned map, you will be good, stay away from the dealer downloads they are a joke

Old 07-08-2014, 01:17 PM
HDJeff14
Advanced

Ok, thanks for all the info. and will consider it all but if I decided to go with a tuner, is the SEPT and good tuner? The thundermax seems a little too pricey for me and thought I'd go with the SEPT.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I run a SERT, however there are so many nice turners out there that are a bit more dyno friendly if you are going to do more work on the bike down the line.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

I run the FP3 from Vance & Hines. Very happy with it so far. You can pick it up from Kutter Harley online for $300 shipped.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:00 PM
fxdc rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant beet the power vision tuner. hands down best one on the market.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your happy with the way it's running then leave it alone. You certainly aren't going to hurt the motor with the setup you have.

Yes it could run better with a tuner...but not NEEDED.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 PM
HDJeff14
Advanced

Thanks alot for all the info. guys. Really appreciated. It really pays to belong to this site. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Is Tuner Needed?