Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Annoying Carb Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:38 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Yet Another Annoying Carb Question

Hey All,

I've been searching to forums and am having a difficult time finding the answer to my specific question so here it goes.

I'm getting really sick of the decel popping (I know a lot of guys like it, but not me) and i'm trying to find a way to tune the carb to get ride of it. I've heard and read that decel popping is typically a symptom of running too lean. So I'm trying to figure out what I need to do. I don't have too much experience with carbs but am trying to learn how to do most of this stuff myself. I don't know if theres any "typically changing to this size jet will do the trick" fix but i would appreciate any and all knowlage/suggestions/links to pages where someone has already answered this questions.

It will probably help to know its got a high flow intake and slip-ons (I have no idea what kind of slip-ons, they were on when i bought the bike and i can't seem to find any makers mark or stamp anywhere).

I'm not in a huge hurry to get it does, i'll probably save it for a winter project, but i'm trying to get all the info i can early.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:57 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

CV Performance makes an excellent kit for CV carb rebuilds and provides some excellent documentation on jet sizes. Remember that altitude and driving habits play into the overall equation.

http://www.cv-performance.com/

They include a EZ mix screw for adjusting the idle mixture. I highly recommend that you leave that part of the rebuild alone unless you are very comfortable with working on your carb.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Ack! Save yer money & spend 12 bucks on a OEM '88 XL1200 needle & another 7 bucks for 46 pilot jet. Leave the main jet alone. Read up on pulling the cover plug off the idle mixture screw & setting your idle mixture & you'll be golden.

Decel popping gone, warms up quick, great throttle response at all rpms & 43-44 mpg.

The EZ idle mixture screw is a good idea tho & much easier than trying to get in there with a screwdriver while the engine's running.

ETA- at your altitude, the XL needle might be too rich. Alternatively, you could try shimming the needle. Good article on tuning the CV here- http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm

Last edited by Carl '69; 07-08-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:14 PM
Mars47
Road Captain

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd rather see carb questions than "Which tuner should I buy?" every other day...but I'm a little biased...

Anyways this is something I've been thinking of doing; subbing for interest.

Last edited by Mars47; 07-08-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:27 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Google Joe Minton and consider his advice for carb tuning, I did it using his method and the bike has run flawlessly with the carb setup.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 PM
wyotana
Tourer

Originally Posted by Carl '69
Ack! Save yer money & spend 12 bucks on a OEM '88 XL1200 needle & another 7 bucks for 46 pilot jet. Leave the main jet alone. Read up on pulling the cover plug off the idle mixture screw & setting your idle mixture & you'll be golden.

Decel popping gone, warms up quick, great throttle response at all rpms & 43-44 mpg.

The EZ idle mixture screw is a good idea tho & much easier than trying to get in there with a screwdriver while the engine's running.

ETA- at your altitude, the XL needle might be too rich. Alternatively, you could try shimming the needle. Good article on tuning the CV here- http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd_cv_mods.htm
I was actually just thinking about the altitude. Any idea of needle that would work for higher altitutdes? And I'll definitely look into shimming.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl '69

What the Sarge said! IMO this will solve your problem! Been there and done that many times!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:16 PM
wyotana
Tourer

Should I get a thinner or thicker washer when shimming to adjust for altitude? Or would the shim described work?

Last edited by wyotana; 07-08-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wyotana
Would I add or remove a washer when shimming to adjust for altitude?
The higher the altitude the richer it will run! My FB runs really lean on the Oregon coast! Hell, it runs a tad lean here at 2540 feet! I do get rumbl-d-pop some here too! I have slips and stock intake! Plugs look good and runs cool so not concerned much! Just giving you some info that may be of use...good luck!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:08 PM
wyotana
Tourer

I guess common sense would say since I'm adding a washer to richen the mixture if its too rich due to altitude to use a thinner washer...

Quick Reply: Yet Another Annoying Carb Question