Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust on Dynas

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 PM
LAFO
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Rust on Dynas

A friend bought a Dyna Anniversary edition about 4 months ago. It's rusted pretty quick. Bolts, Rims, just about everything that's supposed to be stainless steal and some chrome parts.

I had some problems with mine, but even though it's a 2013 aswell, I do not have the same amount of rust.

Well, is it true that Dyna parts are cheaper than other bikes and are most brought in from china or is this rubbish?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:29 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by LAFO
A friend bought a Dyna Anniversary edition about 4 months ago. It's rusted pretty quick. Bolts, Rims, just about everything that's supposed to be stainless steal and some chrome parts.

I had some problems with mine, but even though it's a 2013 aswell, I do not have the same amount of rust.

Well, is it true that Dyna parts are cheaper than other bikes and are most brought in from china or is this rubbish?
Its all relative to how bike is stored , humidity, and most importantly cleaning and polishing. A lot of it can be brought back using good cleaner/polish and some 0000 steel wool.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:38 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i live less than a mile from the pacific ocean. everything rusts around here if you maintain it religiously

Old 07-11-2014, 01:22 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2010 has been terrible for rust. There has been no priming on some parts and others are coated with a layer of paint so thin that just wiping with a rag cuts through the paint.

At the bottom of the frame the paint has peeled off in chunks. The front fender has rust all around the edges and this is the second fender as the first did the same. The tank's paint is really thin and has white primer showing through in places. Under the seat the frame's paint is gone and its rusty...and same on lots of other bits including nuts, bolts, "stainless" parts, etc.

I'm going to have to strip and respray the whole bike before its done 15000 miles. So must for a premium brand!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:43 AM
petebob
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

08 streetbob, 40000mls. Only rust is on the acorn nuts holding the mirrors on and a little bit on the front spokes where I haven't been too fastidious with the cleaning rag. Live in a coastal area, a little bit inland. Bike always covered and garaged. It's seen its fair share of rainy day rides too.
I cant complain about the finish or durability.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:30 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

My bike lives outside with a cover on it when the weather is bad, otherwise it sees the sun and moon much of the time. the only rest on it is along the rear strut where i am always removing and changing things, so my wear and tear is causing that little bit of rust. As for locations i don't touch that have rust....acorns in mirrors, shift linkage (powder is peeling) and the swing arm pivet point chrome cover. My frame over all is in great shape and my tank (only original painted tin on the bike) is also it great shape. My brush aluminum rocker cover are another story. The only cleaning I have ever done to the bike is a weekly wipe down with some HD gloss on allgloss paint and chrome.

Over all I can not complain about the quality for the conditions I put it thru and I live about 2000 ft from a salt filled river of the Chesapeake Bay, so I now I am surrounded by salt filled air and she has been half way accross this country in every kind of weather except snow and ice.

Last edited by blueangel73; 07-11-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Odin510
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a 09 street bob in October of 2013. It lived in a town 5 min from the Atlantic Ocean, and was stored outside. There was pitting and corrosion on a lot of surfaces. I cleaned it up nice as soon as I bought it. I store it inside, and don't really have to do much to it now. No corrosion or pitting has returned. Also, if you are getting rust indoors...look around your garage. There are certain chemicals, fertilizers...etc that can be part of the problem.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't have any rust on mine but I keep it washed and it has a lot of wax on it.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Unbalanced Bob
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I don't have any rust on mine but I keep it washed and it has a lot of wax on it.
Yep. Being close to the Atlantic, I wax the living hell out of just about everything. The only rust is on a couple of my hose clamps. Ever try to wax a hose clamp? It don't work.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Firewoman
Same here on my '06.

Sammi

Quick Reply: Rust on Dynas