Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar End LED turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:47 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Default Bar End LED turn signals

I am considering removing my stock front turn signals (2014 FXDF) and replacing them with LED bar end versions. I already have the HD mirrors with integrated indicators so I think the combination should give plenty of visibility to other road users with lots of blinking amber light high up on the bike and spread widely apart.

I was originally going to relocate the stock turn signals down to the forks, but I think this approach will result in a much cleaner look.

It should also be nice and easy to wire - just cut off the stock wiring at the signal, push the wire back into the bar and connect to the turn signal. All internal.

Anyway..... I have pretty much narrowed the search down to 2 products.

First the Kellermann BL 2000:
Kellermann Online

Or alternatively the Oberon version:
Bar End Motorcycle LED Indicators

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I think I prefer the look of the Kellerman ones and the fact that they have a 360 degree light output, but they are almost twice the price of the Oberon ones. If anybody has used either of these, I'd be interested in your thoughts, particularly with regards to brightness and visibility compared to the stock indicators.

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I do like both of this lights, do you want a visible running amber light when viewed from the rear of the bike? Here is the states it might confuse someone behind the bike because our rear ambers are only visible when they are flashing (for the most part). The Oberon seem to be the same or close to the diameter as the overall grips on a 1" bar and extend out almost 2". The Kellerman look to be a little more tighter to the bike and would look better IMO and would be my choice.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:29 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah - I definitely like the look of the Kellerman ones best. They are only turn signals - not running lights as well, so there shouldn't be any confusion with amber visible from behind apart from when they are flashing.

I do have the LED mirrors/turn signals already which project amber running lights to the front.

Just wondering which set would be the brightest - sadly they don't specify a lumen output....

Old 07-11-2014, 09:47 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of Oberons, but never bothered to mount them.

A friend of mine is using the Kellerman on his Night-Rod, and they look a hell of a lot better...

Just remember that you have to cut a hole in the end of your grips, so no point in buying expensive grips with metal on the end anymore.....

Attached Thumbnails Bar End LED turn signals-kellerman1.jpg   Bar End LED turn signals-kellerman2.jpg  
Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way... I use these http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.as...showprevnext=1

Stupid expensive, but very clean.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The kellermans look much better IMO. How far do they stick out? Here in CA, I split lanes regularly and would be hesitant to add any width to my bars. Sometimes, things get pretty close... BTW: I have LED wrap-around like JayOhh has referenced. Very clean and have held up well. I've been using them for about 3 years.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:07 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JayOhh
By the way... I use these http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.as...showprevnext=1

Stupid expensive, but very clean.
I did look at those, and the Custom Dynamics LED wraps, but I think the bar mount looks better and as it's higher and wider out, and I think would be more visible. Plus - with the bar end units, all the wiring will be internal.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:12 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JayOhh
I have a set of Oberons, but never bothered to mount them.

A friend of mine is using the Kellerman on his Night-Rod, and they look a hell of a lot better...

Just remember that you have to cut a hole in the end of your grips, so no point in buying expensive grips with metal on the end anymore.....
Luckily, I have the HD Edge Cut grips, which have a plastic cap in the end - so that should just pop out and allow access to the bar internals.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:15 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
The kellermans look much better IMO. How far do they stick out? Here in CA, I split lanes regularly and would be hesitant to add any width to my bars. Sometimes, things get pretty close... BTW: I have LED wrap-around like JayOhh has referenced. Very clean and have held up well. I've been using them for about 3 years.
I haven't been able to find any dimensional drawings yet, but judging from the photos it looks like around 40mm to me - roughly an inch and a half.

Also lane splitting here in the UK - but I try to avoid it when it looks that close. No telling what the cagers might do!