Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob owners...keep the tube or go tubeless?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Fat Bob owners...keep the tube or go tubeless?

First off, does anyone know why the hell the Moco decided to give us a tube inside a tubeless on cast wheels?

I'm coming up on rear tire change and trying to decide whether to stick with the tube or lose it. My local indy who recently patched my rear told me to get rid of the tube, but especially after patching, I wanted the extra safety of the tube. But a tube can always be added later if you have to patch. But is it safer in general to go with a tube or tubeless? The plus side to tubeless is being able to do an emergency patch in the middle of nowhere to get you home. Get a flat with a tube, you're done son.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dragons
First off, does anyone know why the hell the Moco decided to give us a tube inside a tubeless on cast wheels?

I'm coming up on rear tire change and trying to decide whether to stick with the tube or lose it. My local indy who recently patched my rear told me to get rid of the tube, but especially after patching, I wanted the extra safety of the tube. But a tube can always be added later if you have to patch. But is it safer in general to go with a tube or tubeless? The plus side to tubeless is being able to do an emergency patch in the middle of nowhere to get you home. Get a flat with a tube, you're done son.
If you bought yer FB new with a tube in it, then somebody DID screw up at the factory! Big time!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Id.Fat Bob
If you bought yer FB new with a tube in it, then somebody DID screw up at the factory! Big time!
Well I don't know about all the model years, but I know that 2013 models all come with tubes. It even says on the tire "tubeless on tube"

Old 07-15-2014, 06:39 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehe...

Never checked but I thought it was a given we were riding tubeless. I have a 2014 FXDF. If I find a tube in there while changing tires I'll for sure take 'em out....

Old 07-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Count Damoney
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I don't know about all the model years, but I know that 2013 models all come with tubes. It even says on the tire "tubeless on tube"
How do you know this? My 2013 doesn't have a tube and the service manual says the cast wheels come with tubeless tires.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure it doesn't say "Tubeless OR tube"?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:32 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I switched to mich comm II tires and fo sho I have no tubes. This is actually the first time I have heard of needing a tube with a cast wheel.

PS there were never any tubes and I have been through 5 sets of tires since buying the FB in late '07.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

FB doesn't have a tube in the tire. I think you might be mis-reading the tire.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Ok guys, I'll post a pic later to prove it but I'm 100% sure mine came with tubes. Another way to tell is that the valve stem is metal with a nut on the outside. Tubeless always have a rubber, flexible stem. There was another thread on this where I asked how to tell if it was a tube or not, and everyone said if it's a metal stem, it has a tube.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:59 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Having personally changed my tires in the spring, I can tell you that my tubeless tires have a metal valve stem, with a nut. I think it's the tubeD tired that have a flexible valve stem (since it's part of the tube).

For tubeLESS the valve stem is part of the wheel. You stick it through the hole in the wheel from the inside out, then secure it in place with a nut.

For TubeD tires, the valve stem is part of the tube.

Last edited by mattVA; 07-15-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob owners...keep the tube or go tubeless?