Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 PM
HD Dooley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Called Avon, it was tough to get a straight answer from them. Basically they all said that the tire is engineered that way so that it grabs traction better in most conditions, HOWEVER he did agree that my Harley is not a race bike, the Harley is the limiting factor not the tire it rarely IF EVER pushes the limit of the tire. And then he agreed 100% that it would work better in rain and debris covered roads the way I have it pointed for the obvious reasons I mentioned above....

The directional arrow may be right for a track built race bike but I don't think it applies to the spirited rider who rides in ALL weather/road conditions. like I said I can scrape my pegs with the arrow in either direction on dry roads.

Next downpour i'm going to try it both ways around the same turn a few times and see if I can feel any difference.

Maddghost, how have you been? its been a few years since I have been on here, your bike looks great!

Old 07-18-2014, 04:23 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I called Avon about this and they said use the arrow for rotation.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

That tire is on the correct way assuming we are looking at it from the front. The point at the end of the "v" on the tread should be pointing the direction that the wheel spins.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:34 PM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hogpro
That tire is on the correct way assuming we are looking at it from the front. The point at the end of the "v" on the tread should be pointing the direction that the wheel spins.
You are looking at it from the front. and I am convinced I am going to have better traction, 3 other engineers agree with me as does every other tire I have ever owned.

arkstreetbob , if you want to be one of the sheep, by all means use the arrow. Or think outside the box and use logic until someone or something proves you wrong.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

Logic tells me to put it on the way the arrow says to. Say you have an accident and the adjuster is a jerk, or its a high dollar suit, you just opened yourself up to potential denial of claim. Why take any chances if as you say it works both ways? Plus I am sure the tire experts know better than you and 3 friends logic.

Last edited by Scout; 07-18-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 PM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scout
Logic tells me to put it on the way the arrow says to. Say you have an accident and the adjuster is a jerk, or its a high dollar suit, you just opened yourself up to potential denial of claim. Why take any chances if as you say it works both ways? Plus I am sure the tire experts know better than you and 3 friends logic.

The tire experts built a race tire, go look at other tires, any other tire than a race tire..... but I guess it doesn't matter if you sit at a coffee shop all day just looking at your bike.

Your one of the sheep, and your "logic" makes me laugh....yeah go put your tire on backwards cause an arrow told you too

Old 07-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Dooley
The tire experts built a race tire, go look at other tires, any other tire than a race tire..... but I guess it doesn't matter if you sit at a coffee shop all day just looking at your bike.

Your one of the sheep, and your "logic" makes me laugh....yeah go put your tire on backwards cause an arrow told you too
You don't even know me yet you insinuate I sit at a coffee shop rather than riding, and that I'm a "sheep"? Lol. Your ideas that you are smarter than the rest, including the multi million dollar companies dedicated tire engineers leave me baffled. You asked the question. Why ask if you were so smart that you already knew the answer? I may be wrong about you, but you certainly don't come across as the genious you think you are.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:57 PM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scout
You don't even know me yet you insinuate I sit at a coffee shop rather than riding, and that I'm a "sheep"? Lol. Your ideas that you are smarter than the rest, including the multi million dollar companies dedicated tire engineers leave me baffled. You asked the question. Why ask if you were so smart that you already knew the answer? I may be wrong about you, but you certainly don't come across as the genious you think you are.
i'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, just using the wheel as its intended to, to give you traction in all conditions, not dry pavement like these billion dollar companies designed them for.

I have 3 TEAM LEAD ENGINEERS, that work for 3 of the bigger companies operating in north america that agree with me, not 3 friends not 3 co-workers. I guarantee that they get paid 5 times as much as the jack offs that build your beloved backwards tires, anyways im gonna go ride my bike and forget about this account again, I remember why I left here a few years ago now.....

sorry for insulting you or saying you don't ride your bike that was just me being a dick. but in all fairness you were too. have a great day and run your tires how ever you want, after all there your tires

Old 07-18-2014, 06:01 PM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

Keep in mind the guy at Avon agreed with me about wet traction, call them if you don't trust me and my 3 simple friends

Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Dooley
You are looking at it from the front. and I am convinced I am going to have better traction, 3 other engineers agree with me as does every other tire I have ever owned.

arkstreetbob , if you want to be one of the sheep, by all means use the arrow. Or think outside the box and use logic until someone or something proves you wrong.
Have 10,000 miles on it. Have been in the rain many times with it and it works good. I am not one of the sheep! You don't know me so don't call me any names.

Quick Reply: Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??