Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:22 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Dooley
Maddghost, how have you been? its been a few years since I have been on here, your bike looks great!
we talked about your tank lift if i remember.! i wasn't sure you would remember me so i didn't say anything. So how are ya?!!!! You look lovely as ever in your purple dress! LOL joking! my bike has had the motor re-worked since and I have a brand new paint kob so I guess it's time to update my phot but I really like the scenery that's the cabot trail in NS. I'l get it done!

Now you have me thinking .,,, can I just take my front wheel off and spin it the other way because to be honest this mich. tire scares the crap out of me, I was getting better traction from my oem FB tire. I used to scrape pegs and pipes but since the drop and a few unsteady curves with the mich. tire I feel so wary of my every turn it's no fun to ride like this! There's lots of life left in the tires but I still feel like trashing them for some better tires.

Yes that's my face on the side of the tank ;-)

Attached Thumbnails Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??-img_0021.jpg   Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??-img_0028.jpg  

Last edited by maddghost; 07-18-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: pixx
Old 07-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Kazz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scout
Logic tells me to put it on the way the arrow says to. Say you have an accident and the adjuster is a jerk, or its a high dollar suit, you just opened yourself up to potential denial of claim. Why take any chances if as you say it works both ways? Plus I am sure the tire experts know better than you and 3 friends logic.
This is true. And I will add that it might fail inspection:

I know in VA it would. I'm an inspector and that is a fail for tires. And I didn't stay in a holiday inn express last night either. Ha ha .Sorry I couldn't resist.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:30 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose their engineers years of research, testing and development could be wrong... but their tread pattern is correct... My front dunlop is the same way...I guess ill flock with the sheep ...

Last edited by SuperFastGlide; 07-18-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

BaaaaaBaaaaaaaaBaaaaaaaaaaaaaaBaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a AAAAAAAaaaa! superfastsheep! LMAO I couldn't resist that one!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Stuntgrunt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OP seems to have already made his mind up but this question has been raised before. The sensible answer was that it is down to the tyres construction and the forces acting on it. The front tyre suffers more from the action of heavy braking forces, the rear suffers more under acceleration forces. These are opposites which is why they have opposite fitment for front and rear uses.

Made sense to me.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:28 PM
HD Dooley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuntgrunt
The OP seems to have already made his mind up but this question has been raised before. The sensible answer was that it is down to the tyres construction and the forces acting on it. The front tyre suffers more from the action of heavy braking forces, the rear suffers more under acceleration forces. These are opposites which is why they have opposite fitment for front and rear uses.

Made sense to me.

Awesome answer, makes sense. unfortunately you didn't chime in sooner lol
I'll pay close attention to breaking forces while riding
Have a great night everyone,

Old 07-18-2014, 10:51 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You can mount them and run them any way you want.
i know guys that run front tires on the rear.
The Harley Dealer will not mount a tire in the reverse direction.
My tires have always been good following the arrow for direction.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:23 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

two things come to mind...if i was running Avon i would be firing that engineer for giving out advise like that, and you will not see any Avons on my bikes since their own engineers are giving out bad advise.

i wonder if the government requires the directional arrows to prevent tires from being mounted wrong? nah, makes too much sense.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:43 AM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You asked "is the arrow wrong" and anyone who replied with a different view then yours was argues with, by you. Don't ask questions if your not going to listen to answers. I don't know what traumatizing events you've had in your life with arrows, but I would indeed listen to them. Arrows are very simple and they point the way things should go. If you want to run yours backwards because your 3 friends agreed with you then have fun man.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Until some years back, front tires ran the same direction as the rear, this is fairly new. I would be concerned about premature failure of the joint mentioned if the tire is run reversed. It also sounds like the Avon rep's phone answer indicates he didn't read his own company's specs.

From the Avon web site - I doubt they'd mind having it posted here:

Can I fit a front tyre on the rear and a rear on the front?
Avon would not normally recommend this fitment. If you do this however, due to the way tyres are manufactured, you should reverse the tyre’s direction of rotation if you fit a front tyre on the rear or a rear tyre on the front of your bike. During tyre manufacture, a length of tread rubber is wrapped around the carcass and joined together with an angled bevel type joint. This joint is orientated so that as the tyre rotates, this joint stays shut. As the rear tyre provides drive and the front tyre provides braking, the joint is made one way for the rear tyre and the opposite way for the front. Fitting incorrect tyres could cause potential MOT/insurance issues and may affect the bikes handling capabilities.

Why does the front tyre appear to be running the wrong way?
We call this Inverted Front Grooves. We have done a great deal of testing and research on tread patterns and found the front tyre is better run in the opposite direction to the rear. The front tyre has to deal with braking forces and the rear wheel with drive forces, which are basically opposite forces. This may make the front appear to be running the wrong way round but in wet tests, we have found that the footprint is not long enough for water to channel very far through the grooves, it just needs to be expelled sideways quickly. By running the tyre as we do, we significantly reduce irregular tread wear. This means that even when the tyre is half worn, it is still putting down the correct amount of rubber on the road. Tyres run the other way round suffer from stepped and irregular wear which reduces their footprint and effectiveness in the wet quite dramatically.
If you check out any of the latest sports radial tyres from any of the other main tyre manufacturers, you will see they are all starting to do the same.
See IFG, (Inverted front grooves) section http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcyc...hnical-symbols

Quick Reply: Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??