Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 02:14 PM
HD Dooley
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Until some years back, front tires ran the same direction as the rear, this is fairly new. I would be concerned about premature failure of the joint mentioned if the tire is run reversed. It also sounds like the Avon rep's phone answer indicates he didn't read his own company's specs.

From the Avon web site - I doubt they'd mind having it posted here:

Can I fit a front tyre on the rear and a rear on the front?
Avon would not normally recommend this fitment. If you do this however, due to the way tyres are manufactured, you should reverse the tyre’s direction of rotation if you fit a front tyre on the rear or a rear tyre on the front of your bike. During tyre manufacture, a length of tread rubber is wrapped around the carcass and joined together with an angled bevel type joint. This joint is orientated so that as the tyre rotates, this joint stays shut. As the rear tyre provides drive and the front tyre provides braking, the joint is made one way for the rear tyre and the opposite way for the front. Fitting incorrect tyres could cause potential MOT/insurance issues and may affect the bikes handling capabilities.

Why does the front tyre appear to be running the wrong way?
We call this Inverted Front Grooves. We have done a great deal of testing and research on tread patterns and found the front tyre is better run in the opposite direction to the rear. The front tyre has to deal with braking forces and the rear wheel with drive forces, which are basically opposite forces. This may make the front appear to be running the wrong way round but in wet tests, we have found that the footprint is not long enough for water to channel very far through the grooves, it just needs to be expelled sideways quickly. By running the tyre as we do, we significantly reduce irregular tread wear. This means that even when the tyre is half worn, it is still putting down the correct amount of rubber on the road. Tyres run the other way round suffer from stepped and irregular wear which reduces their footprint and effectiveness in the wet quite dramatically.
If you check out any of the latest sports radial tyres from any of the other main tyre manufacturers, you will see they are all starting to do the same.
See IFG, (Inverted front grooves) section http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcyc...hnical-symbols
Thanks.

Everyone else, I asked your thoughts. Obviously I wanted a discussion about it, see the pros and cons, get others opinions. And thanks I got 2 good answers. But the tire does work better in the rain the way I have it on, and I don't race my Harley, it does not go over 200 km/ph.... It doesn't even need sport radials nor should you put a radial on a bike that came bias ply but you all do that...... But hey you might as well follow the arrows for the wrong tire you put on anyways. Lol thanks again to the two legitimate answers.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Dooley
yes read the description... it clearly say the back tire groves are arranged to push the water away.....the front tire does not.

on a race track, with a race bike, on dry pavement I could see the front tire having better cornering capabilities due to that pattern but on a Harley that tread pattern isn't helping anything.
Djiiizzzz....

These are not racetires, YOU don't have a racebike, and I'm guessing you don't only ride in the dry.

These tires were made for your bike and all ridingconditions. Has nothing to do with racing.

By the way. If you and your three genius friends knew anything about racing, you would know that racetires for big bikes on dry conditions ( called slicks )look like these:

Attached Thumbnails Avon cobra av71, is tire directional arrow wrong??-slicks.jpg  
Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 626 Likes on 289 Posts

Thanks.

Everyone else, I asked your thoughts. Obviously I wanted a discussion about it, see the pros and cons, get others opinions. And thanks I got 2 good answers. But the tire does work better in the rain the way I have it on, and I don't race my Harley, it does not go over 200 km/ph.... It doesn't even need sport radials nor should you put a radial on a bike that came bias ply but you all do that...... But hey you might as well follow the arrows for the wrong tire you put on anyways. Lol thanks again to the two legitimate answers.

"Tyres run the other way round suffer from stepped and irregular wear which reduces their footprint and effectiveness in the wet quite dramatically."
........Did you read this part??? Your tires may work well in the rain now,but they wont when you get some miles on them.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:59 PM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.

Everyone else, I asked your thoughts. Obviously I wanted a discussion about it, see the pros and cons, get others opinions.
i don't really see that you were trying to have a discussion about it, because your view has never changed or even accepted what anyone else offered opinion on....you still haven't. my god, the dude even posted the webpage with the reasoning why they do it and you still claim your way is better. damn, it even says you could forfeit an insurance claim if mounted incorrectly, yet you still insist that you and your buddies are more right. To me, reading through this thread it never intended to be a "discussion" but more of a "here's what i think and everyone else is wrong" thread. maybe i'm just missing the point...

Old 07-22-2014, 05:34 AM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

I flipped the tire back around.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:08 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I flipped the tire back around.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 PM
not a sock
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 983 Likes on 551 Posts

Relax, guys. The OP finally got the answer he wanted, from the
manufacturer, no less.
How many times in our lives have we all asked advice and when it was
given, it was not what we wanted to hear, soooo we asked again?

Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Called Avon, it was tough to get a straight answer from them. Basically they all said that the tire is engineered that way so that it grabs traction better in most conditions, HOWEVER he did agree that my Harley is not a race bike, the Harley is the limiting factor not the tire it rarely IF EVER pushes the limit of the tire. And then he agreed 100% that it would work better in rain and debris covered roads the way I have it pointed for the obvious reasons I mentioned above....
Of course they agreed with you! It's pretty clear from this thread that one needs to agree with you, or get ripped a new one. They probably tried to be nice (which is part of their job), eventually got fed up, and said whatever it took to get rid of you.

Getting good and accurate advice often involves being a good listener. You may believe that "your way" has served you well in life, but you have no way of knowing if a different way might have served you much better.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM
HD Dooley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Of course they agreed with you! It's pretty clear from this thread that one needs to agree with you, or get ripped a new one. They probably tried to be nice (which is part of their job), eventually got fed up, and said whatever it took to get rid of you.

Getting good and accurate advice often involves being a good listener. You may believe that "your way" has served you well in life, but you have no way of knowing if a different way might have served you much better.

Totally agree with that.

yup I was wrong, it happens. Got some good advice, tires on the right way now, everyone's happy. and **** no I don't like being wrong, who does