Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H quiet baffles too loud

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:34 AM
Limey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H quiet baffles too loud

I fitted V&H slip ons with the stock baffles and they are deafening, so I bought the "quiet" baffles and they are marginally less deafening. So I'm looking for a way of taking the edge off the noise to try and make my bike less antisocial and less attractive to the police, any ideas?

I've bought some of those cheap generic after market baffles which will fit snugly inside the end of each quiet baffle, they're about 6" long, and downloaded a sound meter app for my phone. I'll post up the results on here.

Any better solutions?

Old 07-23-2014, 05:06 AM
Jondalar
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I did with my last bike equipped the same way. The quiet baffles were not any help, so I had some old fashioned Sportster straight-pipe baffles laying around. These are the simple looking ones that look like they have can opener holes in them. I pushed them inside of the "quiet baffles" and banged them tight with a hammer and was very happy with the results.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:32 AM
jcrumpley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The fix for loud

Add the hard core baffle, http://www.smartpartz.com

They are designed to be use with the quiet baffle still in place. They made my short shots a lot quieter. I prefer the tone with just the quiet baffles, but the volume with these in are neighbor friendly.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jondalar
Here is what I did with my last bike equipped the same way. The quiet baffles were not any help, so I had some old fashioned Sportster straight-pipe baffles laying around. These are the simple looking ones that look like they have can opener holes in them. I pushed them inside of the "quiet baffles" and banged them tight with a hammer and was very happy with the results.
I am looking at your sigpic and trying to figure out what it is you have done to your engine intake.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 AM
kreeess
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Idk if it's me but I feel that the SS. Aren't as loud as the straight shot slip ons?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 PM
mikeg212001
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jeff's 1st Harley
I am looking at your sigpic and trying to figure out what it is you have done to your engine intake.
His bike is turbo'ed. That has to be a beast!

Old 07-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Limey
Tourer

OK, just fired it up and held the phone about 18" away from the rear pipe at the same height and it read 95db.

Pulled the baffles out and modding them now.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 PM
Limey
Tourer

Originally Posted by jcrumpley
Add the hard core baffle, http://www.smartpartz.com

They are designed to be use with the quiet baffle still in place. They made my short shots a lot quieter. I prefer the tone with just the quiet baffles, but the volume with these in are neighbor friendly.
I've heard of those but don't think they're available in the UK. They'd be twice the US price if they were, everything is. My DIY effort has cost me about $20 so far, probably another $10 for some new packing and then I'm done (I hope).

Old 07-23-2014, 05:34 PM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser

I bought the short shots and quiet baffles all new. Pulled out the regular ones, put in the quiet and then installed the smartpatz after it. You have to do some modifying for it to work cuz it's not meant to go together. Then I finally started the bike and I still think it's loud so I can imagine without all of this how bad it would be !

They need to rename short shots to Deaf Shots.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 PM
DrDave4
Novice

I bought the vance and Hines 3' slash with regular baffles and they are too noisy for me. I put back the orignial mufflers from HD with Catalytic converters and are going to stay with them Anyone looking for a set of V&H chrome pipes NEW in box Real cheap 100.00 Dr Dave4

Quick Reply: V&H quiet baffles too loud