Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beefing up my 96"

Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM
viperpit07
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Beefing up my 96"

Hey all I've got an 08 FXDC with a 96" and im looking to add some power on a budget. i know youve got to pay to play but im also looking to do this in stages (a few things a year as riding seasons arent very long in WI) so what are some good ways to add some more torque. Rite now ive got the se air cleaner, Xieds, and V&H exhaust. already planning a thundermax next year and maybe a cam but im not sure what yet. Thanks

Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your off to a good start, 2/1 exhaust is your best bet for power. The rest is good. cams well that's a whole different thing. You don't know yet what else your going to do and most cams require attention before purchase depending on how you ride, where you like the power and what kind of compression you will have down the line after the most important thing which will be headwork and big bore.

Don't listen to the quick power advice because there just is no replacement for displacement!

Old 07-23-2014, 12:58 PM
malomj07
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello from a fellow Wisconsinite.

You are on the right track, like maddghost said a 2-1 is going to be your best bet as far as making power goes. The Shortshots sound good, but the power isn't really there with them. (I run them as well, but love them and am not ready to part ways quite yet.) You are on the edge of needing to make the decision of where to spend the big bucks. You can put a cam in the 96", run a 2-1 pipe, get a new tune and have a completely new-feeling bike. However, to quote maddghost again "there is no replacement for displacement." S&S makes great big bore kits and so do plenty of other companies, but you're going to be into that upgrade for a few thousand dollars (done right).

You've got some time to plan and save up, so figure out where you want the power band and use the forum to find the best way to get it. Personally, I kept the motor at 96", had some head work done, cammed it, tuned it, and it has kept me very happy.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:36 PM
viperpit07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by maddghost
Your off to a good start, 2/1 exhaust is your best bet for power. The rest is good. cams well that's a whole different thing. You don't know yet what else your going to do and most cams require attention before purchase depending on how you ride, where you like the power and what kind of compression you will have down the line after the most important thing which will be headwork and big bore.

Don't listen to the quick power advice because there just is no replacement for displacement!
I've looked into the 107" kit and it looks great for the money. but ive also heard at that point you are on the knifes edge of needing a new timpkin (spelling?) bearing for torque slap on the crank (correct wordage?)

So IF that be the case would it be better to go 103" and a cam?

I have the same dilema of that I am attached to the short shots rite now.

So in order my semi plan is Thundermax W/wideband, Cams, Big Bore, Head work, Maybe 2-1. Or should i get a cam after displacement to suite the compression and more volume?
Thanks for the replies guys this answers alot of Qs

Old 07-23-2014, 03:52 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

You would only change the bearing out if yours was broken or you have alot of cash to burn. The HD stock crank can take quite alot of punisment, more than most can imagine. Sell that SS ex off this winter when downtime won't matter so much. You will be happy you did. Don't waste money on a 103 build when the same money will buy you a 107. Keep in mind if you do headwork and bore kit you will need to upgrade your throttle body. The SE 50mm TB works well with the added bonus it comes with new injectors. Your build will run without a new TB but you would be creating a bottleneck. I got my 107 kit from fuelmoto and jayme puts a nice package together including lifters, adjustable pushrods, cams, jugs, heads and gasket kit for 2100 last year. With the TB and had to change my cam chain tensioner pads and it all came to about 4 G's installed.
I already had air cleaner 2/1 exh. and a powervision with AT.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:01 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

First move would be to get that tuner cause you build won't run w/o it.

As for the Timkin upgrade for your crank you don't even have to have one on a 124. All depends how you ride...(I beat my bike pretty hard, so I took precaution). On my 96" my crank was at .007" off (I think I have read that harley will warranty when crank is at .014", which at that point I'm not sure how the hell the bike would run).

Cams should be picked when you decide in the rest of the motor, so later you don't have to work around the cams or end up buying another set.

Stock t-body on mine and I'm at 113hp 118tq, but I have a brand new SE 50mm waiting on the shelf this winter(will bore that out bigger when time comes).

On a budget I would hold on to the pipes you have now, buy thundermax tuner used ($400-$500 can be found) and get the big bore kit you want. Pipes are the easiest thing to change once everything is done and more cash comes around.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:30 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
First move would be to get that tuner cause you build won't run w/o it. Cams should be picked when you decide in the rest of the motor, so later you don't have to work around the cams or end up buying another set.

Stock t-body on mine and I'm at 113hp 118tq, but I have a brand new SE 50mm waiting on the shelf this winter(will bore that out bigger when time comes).
I asked about boring out the SE TB and was told by alot of people that HD makes them to max spec and the walls would become so thin as to cause danger of boring right through them. Put it this way of all the folks I asked this of they all refuse to take resposibility and won't touch them.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:42 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

I was told that you can bore it, either way if not, it's still an unbeatable deal for the SE 50mm (all new sensors and 4.9 injectors)....think I got it for around $320.

Probably going to do up the heads a bit more too.....never ends!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

@bobber lol I know !

Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 PM
viperpit07
Cruiser

So tuner then the big bore would be my best bet so i can see how far i want to go after that to support the new disp?
A guy that my dad works with has about 8k in his motor, he has the 124" and he was tellin me about the crank bearing and i think he said 110" and up its just kind of neccesary. ive never looked into a TB because they just seemed so pricey. originally I had just planned on a stage one, then cams, and a port and polish. but that ASSURED 3 digits to the wheels for just below 1k big bore kit from S&S is too good to pass up bang for youre buck wise. I had looked at the 103" but as you guys said.... its the same price anyways.

Next question... is an upgraded clutch neccesary?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beefing up my 96"