Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy 2014 Low Rider - will I regret not adding ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:23 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

The cost is insignificant - $795. Since the bike I'm looking at doesn't have ABS it's clear that people prefer having ABS - that's why this is a 2014 "leftover" and they are willing to discount it. I would guess that they sold all the ABS equipped bikes long ago, and likely got full list price (at least) on every one of them. The dealer has a few LR bikes left -- all are non-ABS.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:33 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
If you are an experienced rider, forget abs.
If you don't have a clue, get abs.
That's just stupid.

If you can, get ABS. It doesn't take anything away and just gives you an extra safety margin in certain situations. Stupid not to have it if you can get it....especially as there are so many tales on here of people who "had to lay it down" or "grabbed a whole handful of brake and it went down".

My opinion.....it's idiotic not to take advantage of well proven safety aids.

If you are "an experienced rider" then you may never need it. But it's better to have it in case you do. All the experience in the world makes no difference when some ******* doesn't see you at a junction.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
The cost is insignificant - $795. Since the bike I'm looking at doesn't have ABS it's clear that people prefer having ABS - that's why this is a 2014 "leftover" and they are willing to discount it. I would guess that they sold all the ABS equipped bikes long ago, and likely got full list price (at least) on every one of them. The dealer has a few LR bikes left -- all are non-ABS.

How much can you get the old non-ABS '14 vs. the '15 w/ABS?

This is the difference I'm talking since the difference will be more than $795.

But, with the LR already having the dual-discs, yep, ABS would be nice!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Freebirdsride1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my 90 has none abs it stop to the pressure applied to the levers but I do like the abs brakes on the 08. My only complaint with the abs bakes is that I'm not able to slide the rear wheel when in a tight spot. the abs bakes stop you a lot faster.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:54 PM
lencap
Cruiser

Suede Blue -

The price difference between the 2014 two tone leftover non ABS bike and a 2015 two tone ABS machine, not knowing the 2015 list prices yet, would be about $2,700. Part of that is the $800 incremental cost of the ABS.

The local dealer is offering the 2014 LR Two Tone for an out the door price below the list price for the 2014 two tone bike - that's the primary attraction.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 PM
BigMike
Club Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 674 Posts

No, you won't regret it.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No ABS on my FXDL. I have had ABS on previous Touring models but didn't get it this time. I don't miss it.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

Now, with all that I've said in favor of ABS, I think the value in this case, is in a non-ABS '14.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 AM
lencap
Cruiser

Thanks to all for the help. I just bought the non-ABS Amber Whiskey/Vivid Black Low Rider, and I pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

That will be my fifth Harley, and likely my last. I "gave up" riding twice so far, concerned that at my age the risk of riding was too high (you can read my posts describing my feelings). But there is something about riding that I can't ignore. I tried "other brands" after selling my Heritage Classic - lighter machines made by other manufacturers - and while they were fine machines, they just didn't hold my interest.

The latest non Harley I considered is a BMW R1200R - on paper a machine that totally outperforms the Harley in every way, and one that I thought I'd love forever. But the experience is very different than with Harley. The BMW is a great machine, at least on paper, but there is no "attitude" or "soul" like a Harley provides. And while it's very competent and can do anything, it didn't make me want to walk into the garage just to look at it. If anything, when it was in the garage I'd keep the light off - it's not blessed with street stopping good looks (;->).

I think, at least for me, part of the "magic" in the Harley Brand is just looking at the bike! All of my prior bikes, Softail Deluxe, Heritage Classic, 105th Anniversary Colors 1200C, Street Rod all had a "look" - something that made you stop what you were doing just to admire the machine. The Low Rider has it too - especially in Amber Whiskey (I'm a bit biased). After 40 years of riding I've yet to find another brand that puts a smile on my face every time I see it on the road, or in my garage. Only Harley does that.

The Low Rider will work fine for me - lighter weight than the Heritage, a bit more responsive handling, and with all the looks and attitude that only Harley can create. By the way, if you've not heard the exhaust note of the Low Rider you should visit the showroom just to hear it. I can't believe that Harley created an exhaust that sounds so amazing and still meets the EPA guidelines.

Overall, I couldn't be happier - thanks again to everyone.

Last edited by lencap; 07-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your purchase. Throw a SE Nightstick muffler on there and add a Supertrapp performance core with open end cap and your bike will sound much better. Have fun!

Quick Reply: About to buy 2014 Low Rider - will I regret not adding ABS?