Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy 2014 Low Rider - will I regret not adding ABS?

Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

I think you scored with that one, that Whiskey color is ssswwwweeeeeettttttttttttt!!

Happy Trails

Old 07-26-2014, 10:24 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
Thanks to all for the help. I just bought the non-ABS Amber Whiskey/Vivid Black Low Rider, and I pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

.....The Low Rider will work fine for me - lighter weight than the Heritage, a bit more responsive handling,...
Overall, I couldn't be happier - thanks again to everyone.
Lencap, your experiences and thoughts, in general, mirror my own right down to the model of bikes that we have owned. I picked up the same color FXDL that you did just a few days ago. Sure, were ABS available I would have opted for that one. It wasn't. I got a good deal on a stunning bike. No ABS for me, oh well. I think you'll also quickly forget about it.
ABS is a fantastic innovation, I hope it is standard (user selectable for on/off) soon on all bikes. But many millions of miles have been safely logged without it. So we'll focus on what we can control, which is a just as effective safety tool, IMO. Ride safe and enjoy!

Old 07-26-2014, 10:28 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

I sure hope you don't ever regret it.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:55 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=2>4;13030793]No ABS on my FXDL. I have had ABS on previous Touring models but didn't get it this time. I don't miss it.[/QUOTE
You wont miss it till you really need it....

Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
If you are an experienced rider, forget abs.
If you don't have a clue, get abs.
A highly skilled rider can stop an ABS bike in the shortest distance without having the ABS engage. If you can do that 10 out of 10 times on wet pavement then don't get ABS. That said, get it anyway and have an extra margin of safety.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 AM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all for the posts and perspectives. I didn't mean to start a war over ABS, just wanted to see if anyone regretted not buying it initially.

I appreciate the technology that ABS offers and without doubt there are benefits to the system, that is why I asked the question in my initial post. On the other hand, riding on two wheels is inherently risky as the machine itself is unstable. Nothing can change that. Get out of a car and close the door, and the car stays put. Get off a bike, forget to put down the side stand and it will fall over. That's a pretty vivid reminder of instability, and that is at the heart of any motorcycle.

We all are aware of "good riders" having unfortunate accidents, some caused by rider error, some by other circumstances. Regardless of the cause the outcome of any accident can be life changing.

For me, at this time, I'm aware of and accept the risks of riding. I try to keep my skills active with training, wear appropriate gear, and ride defensively, but that won't necessarily prevent an accident if I encounter a drunk driver, an inattentive driver that does something totally unexpected, or if a deer runs in front of my bike.

I am concerned about all of these possibilities, and that's what prompted my question about ABS. But, unfortunately just adding ABS capability to any bike won't eliminate the rest of the things that can create a potentially dangerous life changing event.

Perhaps I should have purchased the ABS option - the arguments for it are compelling - but perhaps I should also have stayed "retired" from biking given all of the other risks. That's a decision each of us must make for ourselves. For me, yes, I'm concerned about what might go wrong, but I also chose not to live in fear of what might happen. That takes all the joy out of living, and for me that's at least as bad as any potential outcome that riding may bring.

Thanks again to everyone - I hope this post encourages each of us to decide if better gear, more training, changing riding habits, or getting better technology (ABS) is helpful for the type of riding we do.

May we all ride safely and enjoy every minute of each ride.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 AM
tafdeluxe
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 13 Posts

No has mentioned the maintenance on the ABS. My understanding is that when you change the pads the ABS light comes on and you have to go the dealership to get it to go off. I want to be able to all general maintenance.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:52 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,031 Likes on 11,054 Posts

Originally Posted by tafdeluxe
No has mentioned the maintenance on the ABS. My understanding is that when you change the pads the ABS light comes on and you have to go the dealership to get it to go off. I want to be able to all general maintenance.
And bleeding/flushing/servicing an ABS system is no doubt a dealer only item, bring big money.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:28 PM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default first post!

always rode bikes that handled, ie GSXR's. raced em crashed em. im 55 now and lucked into a 2001 fxdwg for $5k. I love this bike!!!!!. I was raised in an environment of helping/wrenching the sundowner club bikes back in the 70's. my dad gave it up to raise a family, my mom was freaked the f@#$ out by it. if you are buying a HD to be {coddled} secure, safe, pampered, protected than stop now and buy a jap bike as ABS is a standard. don't buy a HD to portray yourself as something you aren't. buy the bike as is. to much front brake and your on your ***, to much rear brake and your smoking the rear tire looking like a dweeb. accept the responsibility for the safety of you and your family and be American!!!!!

Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stfxdwg
always rode bikes that handled, ie GSXR's. raced em crashed em. im 55 now and lucked into a 2001 fxdwg for $5k. I love this bike!!!!!. I was raised in an environment of helping/wrenching the sundowner club bikes back in the 70's. my dad gave it up to raise a family, my mom was freaked the f@#$ out by it. if you are buying a HD to be {coddled} secure, safe, pampered, protected than stop now and buy a jap bike as ABS is a standard. don't buy a HD to portray yourself as something you aren't. buy the bike as is. to much front brake and your on your ***, to much rear brake and your smoking the rear tire looking like a dweeb. accept the responsibility for the safety of you and your family and be American!!!!!

You tell 'em, you Sunday First Post Trail Blazer wild man!!

Now that's how to shake things up on a Sunday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to buy 2014 Low Rider - will I regret not adding ABS?