Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy 2014 Low Rider - will I regret not adding ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:28 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default About to buy 2014 Low Rider - will I regret not adding ABS?

Greetings - looking at discount on 2014 Low Rider as new models about to arrive. Dealer offering good price, but bike has no abs. I like the bike, but as a senior rider I would like abs brakes.

The dual front brakes look pretty strong, but will I regret not having abs? Do those who have them feel that they make such a significant difference that you'd not buy the bike without them?

Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS or Not ??????????

Originally Posted by lencap
Greetings - looking at discount on 2014 Low Rider as new models about to arrive. Dealer offering good price, but bike has no abs. I like the bike, but as a senior rider I would like abs brakes.

The dual front brakes look pretty strong, but will I regret not having abs? Do those who have them feel that they make such a significant difference that you'd not buy the bike without them?
I would say unless you ride in the rain all the time, not having the ABS should not be a big deal..............

Live Free = Ride Free..............

Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM
CACruiserHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 also and didn't get ABS or the alarm offered. I sort of regret not getting ABS. If I'm not mistaken, seems most accidents occur because people pull their cars out in front of a bike. Knowing myself, I will mash on my brakes when I panic. With ABS you can do that. Without, you skid and slide and who knows what.

Other than that, I don't ride in bad weather, rainy roads, etc so for me they would only benefit when some idiot pulls out in front of me.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap

abs wasn't an option when I bought my bike and i get a long just fine with out it, you just have to be more careful. If harley decides to bring back the FXDXT I would get it with abs. I ride in rain quite a bit so why not take every advantage available.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Iceman103
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luckily in the UK ABS comes as standard. If it didn't I would definitely order it - it doesn't cost a fortune and it can save my ***. Plus rain is quite common in the UK

Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies - much appreciated.

I'm becoming more unsure of buying the bike without ABS. I may never need it, but other than a bit more money up front I don't see any downside to having it, and if I'm ever in a panic situation it may indeed save me from an accident.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by CACruiserHD
I have a 2014 also and didn't get ABS or the alarm offered. I sort of regret not getting ABS. If I'm not mistaken, seems most accidents occur because people pull their cars out in front of a bike. Knowing myself, I will mash on my brakes when I panic. With ABS you can do that. Without, you skid and slide and who knows what.

Other than that, I don't ride in bad weather, rainy roads, etc so for me they would only benefit when some idiot pulls out in front of me.
There is no doubt that having ABS vs NOT is always better. You will have better control in a panic situation. However, if someone pulls out in front of you, and you don`t have the required distance to stop considering the speed you are traveling at, with or without ABS, you are going to get smacked.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Did ok without ABS for 40 yrs, But now that I have them I probably wouldn't go without. That said they work best straight up in a straight line with good traction. Wet roads,curves,swerving,gravel,sand,etc..you need your skills as well.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:02 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,043 Likes on 11,063 Posts

If you are an experienced rider, forget abs.
If you don't have a clue, get abs.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

My SB brakes suck Donkey Kong, I mean to tell you, well, worst brakes I've had on a bike in well over, decades, like since the 70's!

You want to know what should be the most superior components/system on a bike--it's brakes!

At least my two previous Hogs had dual-discs, the '08 had ABS.

I'm jealous that the LR has dual-discs.

How much difference we talking on the non-ABS vs. ABS?

Quick Reply: About to buy 2014 Low Rider - will I regret not adding ABS?