Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Primary Case?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Clean it all up remove all oil residue and then take a good long ride.When you get back grab a small mirror and a flash light and u should be able to see the trail.Thats a reason why I like to run a different color oil RED LINE Shockproof in the trans.That way you know if its a primary seal or trans seal.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaycee
Clean it all up remove all oil residue and then take a good long ride.When you get back grab a small mirror and a flash light and u should be able to see the trail.Thats a reason why I like to run a different color oil RED LINE Shockproof in the trans.That way you know if its a primary seal or trans seal.
Thanks for all the inputs guys. I wish I was in a better position do deal with this but like I mentioned earlier, Im back home with the wife and kids. When I get back to Cali I wont have enough time to try and get this fixed before I head out on deployment. As much as I hate it, reality is I am going to have to take it to the dealer.

Normally I do run Red Line in the tranny, just so happens this last time I put in something different.

I will post up what it turns out to be, but its going to be a couple weeks until I get back to Cali.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:30 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i would guess that it is the inner primary bearing seal then... do you have any fluid off your front pulley?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 AM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by JRK5892
i would guess that it is the inner primary bearing seal then... do you have any fluid off your front pulley?
Didnt see any signs of fluid coming off the front pulley.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:23 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

perfect!

Old 07-30-2014, 05:17 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The shift shaft seal is a rubber seal that the shaft goes through, this shaft rotates for every shift you make, eventually wearing on the seal and lettting some trans oil out. If you have access to UV oil dye put an ounce in the tranny, go for a ride then hit it with a black light. If it glows then you know what cavity is leaking.

Showed the pics to my buddy here in P'cola; he is a former HD Mechanic (former by choice ) and he is thinking the shifter seal also. I am hoping that is the case, sounds like the cheaper of the two between that and the primary main seal.

Will post up what the problem actually was in a couple weeks

Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

When i had mine apart the shifter shaft seal was almost non-existent but not leaking,

Any oil drops/splatter on debris deflector? Have you checked transmission fluid to see if it is a bit down on the stick?

The problem with this type of leak is that the dealer will want to change everything at quite a cost when may not be required, main seal gets mentioned and may well be worst case but i reckon there just as many out there that are the inner bearing race walking outwards

Thanks
Mirrmu

Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Originally Posted by mirrmu
Hi,

When i had mine apart the shifter shaft seal was almost non-existent but not leaking,

Any oil drops/splatter on debris deflector? Have you checked transmission fluid to see if it is a bit down on the stick?

The problem with this type of leak is that the dealer will want to change everything at quite a cost when may not be required, main seal gets mentioned and may well be worst case but i reckon there just as many out there that are the inner bearing race walking outwards

Thanks
Mirrmu
I didnt check the fluid levels yet, that will be first thing on the list when I get back to Cali. I will have to look for the debris deflector, didnt realize I had one or where it is located (im still learning).

I get what you are saying about the dealer changing everything; I actually want to talk to my buddy some more and have him give me a list of what should be checked in order for the problem. Instead of the dealer just going labor happy and changing all kinds of stuff that may not need to be changed.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

What did you end up doing about the leak? I think I'm experiencing the same thing on my 2011 WG.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Over the winter I went after a leak that I thought was the primary but it was the oil pan seal. All the bolts had vibrated loose over 36k and the oil was seeping out the gasket and blowing all over making it difficult to find.

I finally decided to spend a few hours removing every oil pan bolt, thread locking and reinstalling them and leaving them kinda loose until I followed up with the proper tq sequence and tq spec. I'd say most all of these oil pan bolts were loose and some pretty damn loose.

I don't have a single drop of any oil anymore outside my bike.