Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Kury forward control extensions, hit a snag

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Hammerdown77
Tourer
Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Installing Kury forward control extensions, hit a snag

Gents/Ladies,

Recently acquired a 2008 Fat Bob and this weekend I wanted to install the 3" Kuryakyn forward control extensions (I'm a tall feller).

Everything was going smoothly until I got to the part where you are supposed to bolt the factory control assembly brackets to the extension plates, using the two holes in the front of the plates.

First off, I notice these holes are smaller than the rear ones (the ones used to bolt the plate to the frame), and the bolts won't go through. The instructions say to tighten these bolts down into the plates first, THEN attach the nyloc nuts to the bolts on the back side of the plate and tighten those down. This, combined with the smaller diameter of the forward holes, leads me to believe that these holes should be THREADED.

However, this is what they look like on both of the plates in the kit:

Am I right in assuming these holes were supposed to be threaded, and they just slipped through QC? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:16 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I read the instructions and they make no mention of threads in these holes. all of the threads are on your existing parts, except bhere they supposedly supplied you with their bolts and nylock nuts. In case they didn't supply you with instructs I snagged you a copy ; but HDF won't let me upload it apparently it is too big!
Instead go to this link and open the 9049 pdf file

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/230/3-Extension-Kit

Old 07-27-2014, 09:39 AM
Hammerdown77
Tourer

I have all the hardware listed in the instructions. Bolts are correct size, and they have the nylock nuts included. The front holes are the same diameter as the bolts, though, which means unless they're threaded, they ain't going through.

Here is the line from the instruction sheet that implies you are supposed to thread the front bolts through the front holes first, then put the nylock nuts on:

Fasten your stock brake pedal mount by threading two socket head cap screws through the mount and into the extension plate. Tighten fully using your 5/8” Allen wrench.

Since you haven't put the nylock nuts on yet, how are you supposed to "tighten fully" unless you've threaded them into the plate?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Jason Oates
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this kit on my '05 Wide Glide and LOVE IT! I didn't have any concern with installation on either side and the kit is working fine months later.

The only thing that I'd be careful of is with their shift linkage. After ~100miles the forward end of the shift linkage "broke free" and my shifter fell free!! not the worst thing, but not that fun either.

As found:

Closer:

I was able to correct the issue by getting some Gel Locktite. I figured the gel would work well since it will "stretch" slightly and it resists vibration. About a 1,000 miles later, it's working like a charm. (And I did try to contact Kuryakyn twice....no response either time. You think safety-related issues would get a quicker response...hhmm)

Nonetheless, I love this kit and it's SO much more comfortable!

Old 07-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Hammerdown77
Tourer

So were the forward two holes in your plates threaded?

Old 07-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Hammerdown77
Tourer

Found this in the instructions for the 9062 part number kit

STEP 2 Using four 3/8”–16 x 1-1/4” flat head cap screws and two of the countersunk trim plates, attach the two chrome extension plates to the frame so they extend straight forward. The two threaded holes in the extension plates should be on the leading edge.

The part number for the 2 extension plates is the same in these instructions as it is for the 9049 instructions that I have. Guess they are supposed to be threaded after all.

Looks like I'll be calling Kuryakyn first thing in the morning.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine were threaded. I wonder if they sent you the wrong kit.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Jason Oates
Tourer

I'm fairly sure that mine were threaded.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Joe Wiczulis
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same issue. one plate came threaded and the other didn't. I ended up buying a tap and die kit and threading the second plate myself. everything was smooth after that.

Last edited by Joe Wiczulis; 07-27-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:43 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain

good thing you have patience, I would have just drilled them out..

I didn't even know that these existed, wondering if I should get them or stick with the original Plan to get a Crash bar with pegs?

Quick Reply: Installing Kury forward control extensions, hit a snag