Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune questions, new Wide Glide

Old 08-02-2014, 08:21 AM
wg103
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune questions, new Wide Glide

Just traded my Triumph in for this new 2014 Wide Glide. First thing was to install Vance & Hines slip-ons, Harley accessory pegs and luggage rack. in the First 2 weeks I have racked up 2,140 miles on this bike so yes, I'm loving it.

The dealer insisted no EFI re-map was necessary for the Vance & Hines slip-ons but I am concerned about decel popping possibly indicating overly lean fuel delivery. I notice it does not pop when the engine is cold and not yet in closed loop operation (running on info from the O2 sensors) only after it's at normal operating temp. Question is if I install the Screamin Eagle air cleaner assy and have the Stage-1 tune done will this decel popping be reduced or eliminated or is this the nature of the V&H pipes?

Old 08-02-2014, 08:33 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Yes it's running lean, most likely just at idle. But when you add a more open intake you will need a retune/ some sort of tune that will add more fuel because you'll be pulling more air in. Any time you put on more open exhaust and/ or an intake that's going to pull in and push out more air you'll need to add more fuel to go with.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 AM
swifty
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

When I bought my 2014 heritage I had the dealer put on V&H slip ons. The dealer and also a friend who is a HD mechanic said no tune was needed with just slip ons. But I did have a lot of decal popping. Now Both the dealer and my friend said if I put on a high flow air cleaner then I must retune it!!!!!! Since I will not be going past stage one [Air filter and pipes] I went with the V&H fp3. It has work like a charm. No decal popping at all. The bikes rpms now spins up quicker . Seat of pants test it has more power.. Also it kicks off a lot less heat!!!!!!
You should check out the we V&H web site. The reason I think you should use the FP3 is because you are using V&H slip ons. and the map you would be down loading would be a perfect match!!!!!
Now if you plan on going past stage one someday, let say you wish to change the cams then I would go with the power vision...Its more expandable... good luck to you ,,,swifty

Old 08-02-2014, 08:58 AM
kchaile
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on V&H slip ons and a S&S air intake. Flashed it with the FP3 canned set up. Quick and easy and runs great. Was perfect for what I wanted to do. The FP3 is very user friendly.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:47 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 730 Posts

In addition to leaning out your wallet, the dealer download will still have the bike running lean, as per EPA specs. It's still a canned map and probably won't stop the decel pop. Bear in mind that the popping is not harmful, but if you want to get rid of it look into a real tuner.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:40 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
In addition to leaning out your wallet, the dealer download will still have the bike running lean, as per EPA specs. It's still a canned map and probably won't stop the decel pop. Bear in mind that the popping is not harmful, but if you want to get rid of it look into a real tuner.
true, some decel pop is OK, and even my 100% factory setup does it some.

but more or less if it happens to the extent that it starts poping as soon as you let off the throttle and always pops until you come back to an idle... you'll need to add more fuel.

running a tiny bit rich is never a bad thing either. Just a cooler combustion chamber, and uses a little bit more fuel. I'd rather run a tad rich than too lean.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:48 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

My '14 is stock, except for a pro tune. Changed from AFR in the 15's to the 13's. The difference was dramatic!

Winds up much quicker from idle, exhaust note is sharper, throttle response quicker, pulls noticeably stronger.

If you change air filter and/or mufflers, you really have to do a tune.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 AM
wg103
Advanced

Originally Posted by swifty
When I bought my 2014 heritage I had the dealer put on V&H slip ons. The dealer and also a friend who is a HD mechanic said no tune was needed with just slip ons. But I did have a lot of decal popping. Now Both the dealer and my friend said if I put on a high flow air cleaner then I must retune it!!!!!! Since I will not be going past stage one [Air filter and pipes] I went with the V&H fp3. It has work like a charm. No decal popping at all. The bikes rpms now spins up quicker . Seat of pants test it has more power.. Also it kicks off a lot less heat!!!!!!
You should check out the we V&H web site. The reason I think you should use the FP3 is because you are using V&H slip ons. and the map you would be down loading would be a perfect match!!!!!
Now if you plan on going past stage one someday, let say you wish to change the cams then I would go with the power vision...Its more expandable... good luck to you ,,,swifty
Thanks for the replies.
I have checked the Vance & Hines site and would go with the FP3 but am concerned about impact on factory H-D warranty in the unlikely event I ever need it. Also since I just replaced with slip-ons the catalytic converter remains in the head pipe and could be damaged if I go too rich with the fuel. I have heard H-D looks for any reason to deny warranty claims and don't want to hear any excuses from them.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Fusion777
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wg103
Thanks for the replies.
I have checked the Vance & Hines site and would go with the FP3 but am concerned about impact on factory H-D warranty in the unlikely event I ever need it. Also since I just replaced with slip-ons the catalytic converter remains in the head pipe and could be damaged if I go too rich with the fuel. I have heard H-D looks for any reason to deny warranty claims and don't want to hear any excuses from them.
This is understandable. Keep in mind 100% of the tuners out there (including XIED and SEPST) will potentially void the warranty.

I've taken my hog in many, many times for warranty work with a PC3 installed and was never denied. I think this is typical, but no guarantee you'll have the same experience.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by wg103
Thanks for the replies.
I have a V&H fp and the xieds. I've taken my bike in to the dealer multiple times and they've never said anything about either one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune questions, new Wide Glide