Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Controls to Footboards

Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM
sgr60
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Update on my boards install - I got everything installed this week and took some pics for you all.

The install required modifications on both sides. On the right side I needed to cut away some of the heat shield on the exhaust to clear the read board mount. On the left side, I needed to grind away some of the shifter arm so that it wouldn't hit the primary cover when up shifting. That modification could have been avoided by removing the outer and inner primary cover and adjusting the tranny shift lever, but I didn't want to get into removing this inner cover - not something I wanted to undertake on this project. The other solution would have been to get a longer shift linkage. I will do that soon, and replace the shifter arm so that everything looks a little cleaner. But for now, it's all in and works great.

Here are some pics:

1. Modification to the shifter arm:

2. Left side installed:

3. Heat shield trimming:

4. Right side installed:

All in all, I'm really happy with how it turned out. They are really comfortable and I think look great too.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outch! Is that the shift link that came in the Kit? You must not have changed the shift leaver on the tranny then! Guess you didn't install the long rod in the kit either! I will be installing the kit from HD soon and am just thinking about having to do this! It is a FB with forwards! Any difference should be handled by the parts that are already there...I hope! Don't want open up another can of worms!

Old 09-01-2014, 02:34 AM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Where can get one of these kits and how much and will it fit my 07 Lowrider. It sure would be nice to have floor boards after comming from a touring bike to my Dyna

Old 09-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

I didn't change the transmission shifter lever on my '02 & have no problems with the shifter lever contacting my primary.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Id.Fat Bob
Outch! Is that the shift link that came in the Kit? You must not have changed the shift leaver on the tranny then! Guess you didn't install the long rod in the kit either! I will be installing the kit from HD soon and am just thinking about having to do this! It is a FB with forwards! Any difference should be handled by the parts that are already there...I hope! Don't want open up another can of worms!
You will not have that problem. Except for the exhaust that we previously discussed yours is a direct bolt on. His bike is a year that the kit is not designed to fit.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:09 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by clap
Where can get one of these kits and how much and will it fit my 07 Lowrider. It sure would be nice to have floor boards after comming from a touring bike to my Dyna
You can order from any dealer.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-50500247.html

Old 09-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by perki48
You will not have that problem. Except for the exhaust that we previously discussed yours is a direct bolt on. His bike is a year that the kit is not designed to fit.
That's what I thought! Been looking thru all the parts in the kit and after I get the stock header pipes off and install the Rinehart 2 into 1, it will fly together!
I decided against the Cross Backs 'cause of the close proximity to my right leg
with the crossover pipe under the AC cover! Perki...I think I have taken the first step down a very slippery slope here! I think the 2 into 1 is going to flow better and run lean! Next will come the obligatory Thunder Max and after market AC! Turns out to be one helluva expensive set of foot boards for my FB! I really didn't want to go down this road with THIS bike! On the other hand...why have a Harley parked in the garage that I can't ride further than 75 miles at a time! That's my max so far! What the hell...still cheaper than the Fat Boy...right!

Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Those fitment problems are odd. The FLD 'board kit bolted on to my '02 FXD like it was made for it, stock head pipes & all.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl '69
Those fitment problems are odd. The FLD 'board kit bolted on to my '02 FXD like it was made for it, stock head pipes & all.
I'm confused as well. If he already had forwards, the shift lever should've stayed in the same position. I thought he already had forwards on the bike since that was his question in the OP. Either that or his linkage is different somehow.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by sgr60
Update on my boards install - I got everything installed this week and took some pics for you all.

The install required modifications on both sides. On the right side I needed to cut away some of the heat shield on the exhaust to clear the read board mount. On the left side, I needed to grind away some of the shifter arm so that it wouldn't hit the primary cover when up shifting. That modification could have been avoided by removing the outer and inner primary cover and adjusting the tranny shift lever, but I didn't want to get into removing this inner cover - not something I wanted to undertake on this project. The other solution would have been to get a longer shift linkage. I will do that soon, and replace the shifter arm so that everything looks a little cleaner. But for now, it's all in and works great.

Here are some pics:

1. Modification to the shifter arm:

2. Left side installed:

3. Heat shield trimming:

4. Right side installed:

All in all, I'm really happy with how it turned out. They are really comfortable and I think look great too.
What make of pipe are you using that you had clearance problems with?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forward Controls to Footboards