Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why is Twin Cam better than an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRoadGlide

The Twin Cam geometry allowed Harley to straighten out the pushrod angles to each cylinder. This makes for a more efficient valve train geometry.

While they were at it, they removed the outer cam support from the cam cover. This was done to make the engine quieter. Since the cam cover is now just a cover, it doesn't transmit as much noise. Same thing as when they went from the Shovelhead to the Evo. Then they removed the rocker arm shafts from the rocker boxes.
Supposedly, replacing gears with cam chains was also partly noise-reduction driven.
And the combustion chamber design on the twin cam is better for power production, economy and emissions. But Harley has never been big on admitting when changes are done for compliance reasons. Got to maintain that rebellious image.

Water cooling will need to come next. But they've got to sneak up on this, water cooling just part of the cylinder head on some models first, and not calling it "water cooling".

Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by 4_stroke
Big difference to me is the rigidity of the powertrain with the way it connects to the transmission and the fact it evolved into the B motor for the softail. It is heavier though.
Seems they could easily cast the engine & tranny cases as unit, ala the XL & still keep the "traditional" look.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,865 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasespeed
Disadvantage with my Evo, 94 cases are suspect, and I if I want to go bigger, I'll end up with a crate engine.
No need to do that Chase. Just rebuild that Evo from the cases up. When I was rebuilding my '93 FXR, I bought a brand new set of cases from Surdyke Harley. They had some big sale going on, and I got them for a great price ($600 and something). I had to send in my old cases to the dealership, but I got the new cases with the same (original) engine number stamped on them.

Built a nasty little 89" stroker with all S&S parts (except the cases, of course) that will embarrass most any Twinkie out there, and scare the **** out of you at the same time. If you rode my bike, you wouldn't even consider a crate motor. The Evo is just a great base motor, whether you keep it stock, or trick her out a little bit. The Baker OD6 tranny makes this bike a great high speed cruiser on the freeway too.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:12 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Supposedly, replacing gears with cam chains was also partly noise-reduction driven.
And the combustion chamber design on the twin cam is better for power production, economy and emissions. But Harley has never been big on admitting when changes are done for compliance reasons. Got to maintain that rebellious image.

Water cooling will need to come next. But they've got to sneak up on this, water cooling just part of the cylinder head on some models first, and not calling it "water cooling".

OMG, I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was that bad, I thought it was pretty stupid to liquid cool the heads but now I know why. they cant keep their hands off of anything. as if oxygen sensors, & catalytic converters, & quiet mufflers weren't enough, now it's this.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
No need to do that Chase. Just rebuild that Evo from the cases up. When I was rebuilding my '93 FXR, I bought a brand new set of cases from Surdyke Harley. They had some big sale going on, and I got them for a great price ($600 and something). I had to send in my old cases to the dealership, but I got the new cases with the same (original) engine number stamped on them. Built a nasty little 89" stroker with all S&S parts (except the cases, of course) that will embarrass most any Twinkie out there, and scare the **** out of you at the same time. If you rode my bike, you wouldn't even consider a crate motor. The Evo is just a great base motor, whether you keep it stock, or trick her out a little bit. The Baker OD6 tranny makes this bike a great high speed cruiser on the freeway too.
I knew about the factory rebuild, but, not just the cases. I'll look into it. That would solve the weak case areas.

I've been eyeballing something in the 111-113 range, and HOT street. Only thing I know about my current engine, is it has an EV3 and S&S pushrods. It's snotty, and quicker than my 96".... But, I want a more square engine.

Sorry for the hijack...

My first TwinCam adventure about 12 years ago, didn't go so well. Stayed clear of them for a long time. Stuck with Evo, and XL. XL is bulletproof, and set up to make power much better.

This one hasn't been problematic, but I'm still leary. However, there are plenty on TwinCams with a lot of miles on them,

Chase

Old 08-25-2014, 07:21 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Built a nasty little 89" stroker with all S&S parts (except the cases, of course) that will embarrass most any Twinkie out there, and scare the **** out of you at the same time. If you rode my bike, you wouldn't even consider a crate motor. The Evo is just a great base motor, whether you keep it stock, or trick her out a little bit. The Baker OD6 tranny makes this bike a great high speed cruiser on the freeway too.
I'd love to take that challenge. I'll even run a throttle stop to make it fair. My stock case, stock head casting, ride it anywhere twinkie still makes 120/120 at around 1/2 throttle. I love fxrs, but imo a twin cam swap is pretty much required to make the big, reliable power. Just bustin on ya though, that's a sweet looking fxr and I'm sure it's a blast.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Why,yes,yes,no

Old 08-25-2014, 07:34 PM
DieselDave24v
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The EVO is like a small block Chevy 350...reliable, and just works.

The Twin Cams are better in every single measurable way, but there is still that attraction to the EVO...or the old small block.

The Vortec 5.3 and 6.0 are far superior engines to the 350....but I sure do miss the 350. IMO there is no way to justify saying one is better than the other, ride the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,865 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by vdop
I'd love to take that challenge. I'll even run a throttle stop to make it fair. My stock case, stock head casting, ride it anywhere twinkie still makes 120/120 at around 1/2 throttle. I love fxrs, but imo a twin cam swap is pretty much required to make the big, reliable power. Just bustin on ya though, that's a sweet looking fxr and I'm sure it's a blast.
Thanks for the compliment.

Your twinkie isn't exactly an "average" build that you run into every day...in fact I'd call it a pretty extreme build, or a racing build.

That being said, I'd love to take that Pepsi challenge with you on some nice twisty roads. Personally, I don't think all that extra HP and torque are going to do you much good, or give you any real advantage.

I'm a firm believer that you don't need a huge displacement and triple digit HP/torque numbers to have a lightweight, fast, and very nimble Harley. Just give me a FXR or a Sportster with a few choice mods, and a vast majority of weekend warriors on their new twin cam bikes are going to have a tough time keeping up with me, not the other way around.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:31 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselDave24v
The EVO is like a small block Chevy 350...reliable, and just works.

The Twin Cams are better in every single measurable way, but there is still that attraction to the EVO...or the old small block.

The Vortec 5.3 and 6.0 are far superior engines to the 350....but I sure do miss the 350. IMO there is no way to justify saying one is better than the other, ride the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.
That's a pretty good way to put it. The old sbc are still capable of big displacement and big power pretty easily.
Thanks for the compliment.

Your twinkie isn't exactly an "average" build that you run into every day...in fact I'd call it a pretty extreme build, or a racing build.

That being said, I'd love to take that Pepsi challenge with you on some nice twisty roads. Personally, I don't think all that extra HP and torque are going to do you much good, or give you any real advantage.

I'm a firm believer that you don't need a huge displacement and triple digit HP/torque numbers to have a lightweight, fast, and very nimble Harley. Just give me a FXR or a Sportster with a few choice mods, and a vast majority of weekend warriors on their new twin cam bikes are going to have a tough time keeping up with me, not the other way around.
You're absolutely right on that. I do love the power on corner exit though. Took a lot of work to get the bike to put it to the ground though.

I agree that mine is a little above average but definitely not extreme or a race motor. It's almost all off the shelf parts, most of them out of the Harley catalog. Same cranking compression as a stock 110. Chain drive hd cams, stock hd lifters, beehive springs, production heads with basic port work and average valve sizes, off the shelf pipe. Nothing crazy at all, just a good combo of parts and tuning. I'll ride it anywhere, runs cool, never pings, even when I was up in NH in traffic and could only find 89 octane. That's what I love about twin cams.

Last edited by vdop; 08-26-2014 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: why is Twin Cam better than an Evo?