Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Cover leak

Old 08-25-2014, 09:45 AM
rlashua
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Cover leak

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1993 dyna fxdl lowrider and I noticed that I have oil leaking from gear case on right side. Upon further inspection it is due to a broken bolt on bottom left side of cover. Don't know why bolt broke but there is about an inch of the bolt left in the hole. I actually took all the bolts out without taking off pipes and pried the cover apart about half inch and tried to put gasket maker in to stop leak and put it back together but it is leaking worse.

I just got the pipes off and I need some help and advice. Can I just take the bolts off, drill out the 2 rivets, take off cam cover and put in a new gasket and use Permatex # 3 with it or not? I am confident I can get the broken part of bolt off with either vice grips or EZ out once cover is off.

Do I have to take seat and tank off and pushrod covers? Can I use a harmonic balance puller to get cover off or do I need something else?

I amount of work and would like to just bring to shop but cant. right now so I was hoping for some help

Thanks to you all
Russ

Old 08-31-2014, 05:19 PM
rlashua
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I bit the bullet and I drained oil and gas, took the tank off, took the rear and front rockers off and (yes the rear left side was a bitch getting bolts out due to clearance issue with frame.) I got the piston in front to tdc and pulled push rods and then did the same to the rear. I am replacing all the pushrod gaskets.

Next I drilled out the rivets to the cam cover and removed the cover and then the round gasket. I then was staring at the sensor plate. I marked where the timing was and had a few beers at that point as I was almost there. I finally figured out that the screws holding in the sensor plate would come out with a flat screw driver and I got it out. Then marked where the rotor was as there is a little slot and a dimple on the back that has to do with timing. More beer

aahhhhhh thought I could pull the cam cover off now and get the broken bolt out, put a new cam case cover gasket and go riding next day but nooooooooo. Need a special cam bearing puller. SO I was stuck

So I ordered that some gaskets oil seal , dowel seals and a small torque wrench. Once that comes I think the bolt part on the puller will press against bearing like flywheel puller and I imagine 2 screws will go into where the sensor plate screws were IS THIS CORRECT? Anything special I need to remember after that? Anything you suggest I should replace while I am in there? Harley 1993 fxdl with 26K

Learned a lot and took it slow, not as bad as it sounds. Almost easier to pull motor out and put on bench though. Thanks for any advice you can give