Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Lifters" Like a damn oil thread maybe worse

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:37 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts
Default "Lifters" Like a damn oil thread maybe worse

I have been off work for a few weeks and can't ride yet due to injury. Getting the stuff gathered to do my cam install and the lifter question popped up. What to use. Keep stock "c" which have been proven upon research to be junk per opinions, go high dollar like woods or s&s premium, tons of other brands that go on and on. After extensive research I chose Gaterman 1023s.
Wish they were mad stateside but none the less seems to offer best reliability and oiling functionality per numerous threads of research for the price. Cost was $140 for set from a local supplier. One other nice thing with the Gatermans is they only have one flat so no worry about installing wrong way. Just thought I would say that like oil threads, if you are looking at lifters for your cam install, plan on a headache of research, or find some, buy them, don't think about it and hope for the best.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Just about all the aftermarket lifters seem to work well, really have not heard negative experiences other than some of the stock HD stuff.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:09 PM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by slyedog
I have been off work for a few weeks and can't ride yet due to injury. Getting the stuff gathered to do my cam install and the lifter question popped up. What to use. Keep stock "c" which have been proven upon research to be junk per opinions, go high dollar like woods or s&s premium, tons of other brands that go on and on. After extensive research I chose Gaterman 1023s.
Wish they were mad stateside but none the less seems to offer best reliability and oiling functionality per numerous threads of research for the price. Cost was $140 for set from a local supplier. One other nice thing with the Gatermans is they only have one flat so no worry about installing wrong way. Just thought I would say that like oil threads, if you are looking at lifters for your cam install, plan on a headache of research, or find some, buy them, don't think about it and hope for the best.
I run Gaterman 1023's in my bikes and have had zero problems. They came highly recommended on another more performance related forum. A lot of the high performance guys like them a lot.

The C lifters are generally acknowledged to be junk, with many failures reported.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I have gaterman's and johnson lifters. A lot of people like feuling ones too. But then again I have never had a problem with the stock lifters either

Old 08-28-2014, 08:07 AM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

As nhrider said the Gatermans have a solid record behind them. I got them from a local builder known as King of Cubes. Seen and heard of major builds from him and his continued use of them convinced me.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lifter's.................

Originally Posted by slyedog
Just had to say I am glad you decided to put new lifter's in with your cam swap, very good idea.............
I pulled all my stuff apart last night for my cam swap and found that HD had the two front lifter's in backwards.......... Go figure.......... I was wondering why I had some pre-pump up noise on cold start........!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went with the S & S base line lifter's, did not hurt the wallet and much better than stock HD 99C's...........
Good luck with your cam swap ..............

Live Free = Ride Free............

Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 AM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Lifters are a common subject on the CVO forums as several members have had lifter failures take out the entire engine in as little as 20,000 miles. I know the 110's have a bit different head and valve setup but sad when a $50 part takes out a $5000 engine right at the end of warranty. HD has to quit cheapening this stuff to save a buck.