Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider- need advice

Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote for lowering it too. Can't hurt to try.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nannygirl
I had w smaller bike thank you- I've been riding for 8 months and I ride well- I'm not asking to be judged but just if those who have been riding for years know something smarter.
Don't see any judging to what he wrote. When it falls on your leg and breaks it, you'll see he is right.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Nannygirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJY
Don't see any judging to what he wrote. When it falls on your leg and breaks it, you'll see he is right.
Not if there's someone out there who has a smart idea like lowering it- the judging was in the "not sure why new riders need to out and buy a new bike just to drop it.."

Old 08-27-2014, 04:34 PM
Govno
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has to be a troll...right???

Old 08-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Nannygirl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Govno

This has to be a troll...right???
Tough crowd. Not a troll- far from it sweetie.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:40 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Take it somewhere flat, with smooth asphalt/concrete (like an empty parking lot).

Wear boots with good, grippy soles as a minimum.

Turn the engine off and just duckwalk the bike about a bit, do turns, then full lock turns. Mess about. Just get the feel of the bike and when it wants to start to tip. You should easily be able to stop it before it does, and even if it does - well you've already done it a couple times, so no big deal.

Just spend some time getting the feel of the weight of it at 0 mph.

Then fire it up and do the same at a walking pace under power. Use the back brake and the friction zone of the clutch while looking where you want the bike to go.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Nannygirl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by adm
Take it somewhere flat, with smooth asphalt/concrete (like an empty parking lot).

Wear boots with good, grippy soles as a minimum.

Turn the engine off and just duckwalk the bike about a bit, do turns, then full lock turns. Mess about. Just get the feel of the bike and when it wants to start to tip. You should easily be able to stop it before it does, and even if it does - well you've already done it a couple times, so no big deal.

Just spend some time getting the feel of the weight of it at 0 mph.

Then fire it up and do the same at a walking pace under power. Use the back brake and the friction zone of the clutch while looking where you want the bike to go.
Thank you adam! I will try that!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How are your feet planted when on the bike? Toes or flat footed?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:49 PM
fatmanontwowheels
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option is to look at having a custom seat designed for you. You can have seat that is made lower and also have whats called a nose job done on the front sides. That way when you go to put your feet down the seat wont push your legs out as much. Talk to some of the seat companies and see waht they recommend ( Mustang, LePera, Corbin ) and NO i do not work for any of them.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:50 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds inane but the bikes are so well balanced to ride that many people don't realize these dyna's weigh 700lbs! So when we loose just a bit of balance it's often too late and you need brute force to keep her standing, and sometimes that's not enough.

My advice to you is always plan your moves, when your backing up if there is an incline keep a hand near the brake, and look back all the way not front and back. don't worry about what's in front as long as tyou can see what is coming behind you. If your in sand just spin that back wheel keeping your feet near the ground for balance. Be careful and learn from your mistakes, you will do fine after a couple months!

ride safe keep the shiny side up and don't lose hope.

The engine guards I'm afraid is totally your call, they may save money and damage both to the bike and to your person but IMO they look tacky.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New rider- need advice