Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:10 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Engine guards for sure if you have a problem. Black ones may look better? Have you been taught the proper way to pick up a bike?

Old 08-27-2014, 05:14 PM
jangler14
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Besides lowering it, one thing to note is to take care you don't grab too much front brake with the front wheel turned when moving the bike manually. Back brake is better to use in slow speed maneuvering as well, like in the parking lot.

Not sure if that was your issue or not.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jangler14
Besides lowering it, one thing to note is to take care you don't grab too much front brake with the front wheel turned when moving the bike manually. Back brake is better to use in slow speed maneuvering as well, like in the parking lot.

Not sure if that was your issue or not.

X2!...

Old 08-27-2014, 06:03 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't help you keep it up but there are some videos on the web explaining how the correct way to pickup a dropped bike. If you do it correctly you're using your legs, not your back. Worth checking out the videos.

I used to own a very tall, very top heavy three cylinder bike which was much harder to pickup than a Harley. Riding it off road meant dropping it once in awhile and I could barely manage to pick it up by myself, even with the knowledge and many years of experience picking up dirt bikes, especially off road where traction for your boots is poor.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would vote yes on the engine guard and then you have somewhere to prop your feet when riding, I like mine.

Attached Thumbnails New rider- need advice-121.jpg  
Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 PM
AGSURFR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Dyna engine guard

Yes on installing a guard.

I installed them on mine. Easy to do yourself also. I did change out the nuts and washers though, the ones that came with it did not look like stainless. Quick trip to Lowes.

Are the u-bolts that connect to the frame ugly, YEP!

What it does add is a little more confidence though. If you drop it there is some protect to the controls and the side of your bike.

Ignore the people that tell everyone if you drop your bike you bought too much bike. I have a lot of friends with decades of riding experience. They have all dropped a bike at one time in their life.

And guess what every now and then you put your foot down and there is something there you don't expect.

There are several options for the HD guard. Chrome/black. HD now has a mustache style guard for the Dyna.

Get it if it makes you feel better. Screw the naysayers. I look at some bikes and think WTF were they thinking but I always tell them they have a nice bike.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default super top heavy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

understand that when you are pushing it, or sitting on the seat and backing it, or straddling it and moving it your odd's of tipping are at there highest. minimize those situations. and ill probably catch sh** for this comment but have the engine running and in gear with the clutch in whenever you are backing it. if it does start to go over you can feather the clutch and probably save it. use this technique at your own risk, if it go's bad and you accelerate through the garage wall and end up in the living room forget i ever told you to do it.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by kainvamp
Sounds like you should have started on a smaller used bike to begin with, I don't know why people with no experience would buy a brand new motorcycle just to drop it. You don't want to be told that, but it sounds like you don't have the physical strength to handle what you have. People in your situation always say they didn't want to buy a smaller bike and lose money on getting a bigger one down the line, but you go ahead and cause damage to a brand new bike due to inexperience, hmmm seems worth it.
No answers there... wasted post full of assumptions.

OP try the lowered suspension and a lower seat.
Also forward controls give you more room to plant your feet on the ground.
Did the mid controls contribute to you loosing your footing?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming you have very short legs, correct? You don't want to lower the bike too much as it will have negative affect on the ride quality ( unless you don't care about that ). Try getting a thinner/narrower seat, something that will allow your feet to be flat foot or close to it. Also try wearing boots with a thicker sole, many motorcycle boots have them. I also tend to push my bikes around on foot, not from the seat. Backing up with one hand on the bar the other on the seat, it's a habit I've formed over the years starting with dirt bikes. Watch how people that move bikes all day every day do it, it will more often than not be just like I said. That may have eliminated the first drop you had.

Where in Boston area are you?

Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 PM
07_Dyna
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess I'll add my two cents worth, here

I'm 6-2. I weigh 300 pounds. If my foot is on sand or gravel when I stop I can STILL come 'way too close to having a tipover.

This is a motorcycle. You ****NEED**** to pay very close attention to the surface of the road - not only when you stop, but while riding, as well !!!

These things will become old and unbreakable habits, with a few years of experience. All of us had to learn. The way to avoid these tipovers is to look at where your feet will go when you stop. If there is sand (etc.) you will be ready. And if you're ready, you won't drop the bike.

Missing sand/gravel while negotiating a turn WILL have more painful consequences...

Quick Reply: New rider- need advice