Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider- need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Nannygirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider- need advice

Ok- so I have a 2014 superglide. I love her! The issue, she's tipped on me twice- no damage but I have a really bad back and can't lift her so I'm thinking of adding an engine guard to help? Is that dumb and if so, is there another SMARTER option you'd suggest (besides getting a smaller bike) thank you for any advice!!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Nannygirl
5th Gear

Oh, not sure if it matters but I have mids.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:20 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

what caused the bike to go down?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

An engine guard should help minimize damage and make the bike a little easier to pick up, but the important thing is to address what is causing your tipovers. Have you taken the MSF or similar riding class?

Old 08-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Nannygirl
5th Gear

I have taken the classes both the riding class and then four hours of private class time. The reason for the first was backing out of my driveway and lost my gripping. The 2nd was I was on sand and apparently the tire was to deep in the sand.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Nannygirl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Redbeard
An engine guard should help minimize damage and make the bike a little easier to pick up, but the important thing is to address what is causing your tipovers. Have you taken the MSF or similar riding class?
I have taken the classes both the riding class and then four hours of private class time. The reason for the first was backing out of my driveway and lost my gripping. The 2nd was I was on sand and apparently the tire was to deep in the sand.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:12 PM
kainvamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you should have started on a smaller used bike to begin with, I don't know why people with no experience would buy a brand new motorcycle just to drop it. You don't want to be told that, but it sounds like you don't have the physical strength to handle what you have. People in your situation always say they didn't want to buy a smaller bike and lose money on getting a bigger one down the line, but you go ahead and cause damage to a brand new bike due to inexperience, hmmm seems worth it.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:14 PM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried lowering it? Moving the center of gravity will make a huge difference.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Nannygirl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by kainvamp
Sounds like you should have started on a smaller used bike to begin with, I don't know why people with no experience would buy a brand new motorcycle just to drop it. You don't want to be told that, but it sounds like you don't have the physical strength to handle what you have. People in your situation always say they didn't want to buy a smaller bike and lose money on getting a bigger one down the line, but you go ahead and cause damage to a brand new bike due to inexperience, hmmm seems worth it.
I had w smaller bike thank you- I've been riding for 8 months and I ride well- I'm not asking to be judged but just if those who have been riding for years know something smarter.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM
Nannygirl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Melman
Have you tried lowering it? Moving the center of gravity will make a huge difference.
thank you for offering me w sound piece of advice without judgement! I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: New rider- need advice